Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:48 PM   #21
Administrator

I've got a working Seagate 5MB (MB not GB) full height disk drive that's over 20 years old. Who says magnetic media is not reliable. :-)

Unfortunately, this particular drive requires a Western Digital MFM type controller with a custom EEPROM.

Fortunately, I've got a working PC (also > 20 years old) that has that card (with the custom EEPROM).

But, backing it up would be a real pain in the you know what (it's a >20 year old PC with nothing but serial and parallel interfaces).

OK -- I could get the data from it (and I already have) using a variety of techniques. I've been known to write protocols for serial port file transfer with *very* small footprints. I spent many years in software development (mostly DOS based stuff). lol

But, it's a very good idea to upgrade the media your backups are stored on from time to time.

Most modern hardware will not support older disk drive and tape backup technology

The same thing will likely apply 20 years from now for currently used storage technology.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:52 PM   #22

You save everything, don't you.

Do you still have your copy of Fifth Generation's FastBack?

I threw away all my copies of Copy][PC a long time ago, but held on to the Copy][PC Option Board until a couple of years ago.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:42 PM   #23

Thanks for that lat tip on the binders. I will put them in a cool (60 dgree) room/closet in the basement area now.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:52 PM   #24

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for that lat tip on the binders. I will put them in a cool (60 dgree) room/closet in the basement area now.
Actually, basements tend to be damp and not well ventiliated, and humidity can be as bad as temperature. The best place would be a bookshelf against an interior wall in a normally ventilated room. I suggest you do not keep them in a basement (cool & damp)or attic (hot & damp), or near an exterior wall (cold in winter, hot in summer.)
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:40 PM   #25

Oh............ thanks

I will work omn geting a book shelf so I can do that.l The only bookshelf I have is built into the wall in my basement.

dave
Old May 1, 2007, 10:47 AM   #26

Actually, what I said about preserving CDs in sleeves goes for books too. Cool &damp, and hot& damp, are bad for books, and bookshelves in your basement will promote rot and destruction by insects. Maybe you should use the bookshelves in you basement for just canned goods.
Old May 1, 2007, 7:40 PM   #27

I just got a bookself for my upstairs living room to store the binder that hold the CDs and DVDs with my digital photos on it..... now to put it together.

Thanks for your help
Old May 1, 2007, 8:21 PM   #28

I think we're off-topic now.
Old May 1, 2007, 8:54 PM   #29

Yes but you helped me with my CD and DVD photo storage so the message and post helped me out in the long run. Thanks for your help and time.

dave
Old May 1, 2007, 9:10 PM   #30
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
You save everything, don't you.
Not everything. But, I am a "pack rat". lol

Quote:
Do you still have your copy of Fifth Generation's FastBack?
That's possible. I've got boxes and boxes of floppy disks (and I mean larger moving/storage type boxes, not small floppy disk boxes). lol I've got no inventory system to speak of though, other than dates marked on the boxes and labeled smaller boxes and floppies. I haven't tried to read most of them in many years though. Most of what I'd use is on hard disk now anyway (even most of the older DOS type stuff).

Heck, I've even got viruses stored on floppy disk (I kept a few of the interesting ones that were very difficult to get rid of. I've got a red "WARNING - VIRUS" label on one of them that was particulary nasty. You could change CMOS to boot from floppy, and it would *still" infect the floppy from the hard disk install if it wasn't write protected. It frustrated the heck out of me and a friend of mine at the time. We couldn't get a clean boot from an uninfected floppy boot disk to try and get rid of it. lol

We finally figured out that we could get a clean boot by going into CMOS and doing a save/reboot, waiting until right *after* exiting CMOS before quickly putting in a clean boot floppy.

I never did figure out how it managed that trick (since viruses are not supposed to be able to reside in CMOS). Somehow, it was setting some switch in CMOS that caused it to always read the infected boot sector on the hard drive before booting the floppy (and even though it would appear to be booting from floppy, the virus would still load into memory and immediately infect the clean boot flopy if it wasn't write protected). It was interesting enough that I decided to save a copy of it. I have never seen anything like it before or since then. lol

My most vulnerable area is probably the old Apple stuff. I've got a lot of software for Apple II/II+/IIe, including some pretty nice stuff for that time period (Visicalc, Multiplan, and more). So, it's possible some of it isn't usable anymore. Apple pretty much priced themselves out the market (they wanted *way* too much for a hard disk back then). So, I switched over to an "IBM compatible" PC (as s we used to call PCs capable of running MS DOS), and I never went the Lisa or Mac route.

Quote:
I threw away all my copies of Copy][PC a long time ago, but held on to the Copy][PC Option Board until a couple of years ago.
I'm sure I've got a copy (or two or three or four) of that one somewhere. It was pretty popular some years back when software vendors tried to figure out ways to keep people from making copies of floppies (for example, deliberately putting in bad sectors to keep most copy programs from working.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote