Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 29, 2007, 1:31 AM   #1

I have several Takumar lens from an old Pentax Spotmatic. Are there any digital SLR cameras that these lens would work on?
longtimealaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:15 AM   #2

One of the nice features of the Pentax Dslrs is that they will accommodate older lenses. Nearly any lens made to fit Pentax bayonet mount (K-mount) will work, as well as the M42 screw mount lenses. Of course, they may need to be used manually, if the lens did not have autofocus capability, and if there is not an "A" position for the aperture ring, the aperture will need to be set manually also.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:02 PM   #3

Thanks VTphotog,

My older lenses are Takumar lenses with the screw mount and I used them on a Pentax Spotmatic II, which is still very functional and I still use it. About a year ago I bought a Canon S2IS with a 12 X zoom. Although I like the digital camera a lot, it doesn't compare with my old Spotmatic with a telephoto lens for reaching out for wildlife photos. So I decided to look into digital SLR cameras to see if there were any that would work with my old screw mount lens.

How difficult would it be to learn how to shoot a digital SLR manually with a big telephoto? The lenses are manually focused lenses.

Any thoughts on which model of Pentax I should look at?
longtimealaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:24 PM   #4

longtimealaskan wrote:
Quote:
Thanks VTphotog,

My older lenses are Takumar lenses with the screw mount and I used them on a Pentax Spotmatic II, which is still very functional and I still use it. About a year ago I bought a Canon S2IS with a 12 X zoom. Although I like the digital camera a lot, it doesn't compare with my old Spotmatic with a telephoto lens for reaching out for wildlife photos. So I decided to look into digital SLR cameras to see if there were any that would work with my old screw mount lens.

How difficult would it be to learn how to shoot a digital SLR manually with a big telephoto? The lenses are manually focused lenses.

Any thoughts on which model of Pentax I should look at?
How difficult is it? It is the same as your spotmatic that you had just instead of loading film, you load memory card.

Pentax has 3 current production dSLR in the market right now. The K110D, K100D and the K10D. The K110D and the K100D are the same camera except that K100D has anti-shake built into the body so every lens becomes an anti-shake lens. The K10D is the higher end camera with a higher megapixal count, all weather body, and the ablity to use the new silent motor lens Pentax is planning.

That was a basic run down of the 3 current Pentax dSLR. I own the K100D and I love it. It can be bought for about $500 after the rebate. The K110D sells for about $50 cheaper and the K10D goes for about $900
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 12:57 AM   #5

They will work on the Oly E-series cameras or other 4/3 mount cameras, using an adapter like THIS. Other cheaper ones can be found on e-bay. Of course focusing and exposure are performed manually. A lot of 4/3 owners use old manual glass in this way.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote