Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 27, 2003, 11:47 PM   #1

Default I just received my prints .... your thoughts?

well i had my processor complete 40 prints from bright beach scenes to indoor people with flash to shots i had made a mess of (too much/little exposure etc etc etc) as well as a few macros!

Overall i am VERY pleased, but a few observations ....

- compared to the screen the detail is not quite there .. obviously 4x6 is a lot smaller than a 17 inch screen! When I reduce the screen shot to 4x6 i get the same detail. Not a concern.

- good news is that shots that seem very poor on screen are better as prints, especially shooting into the sun on beaches, looks bad on screen but not bad at all on prints.

- bad news is slightly less colour saturation than appears on screen ... just a TAD "washed out" .... hard to pick but i can just see it.

- biggest bad news is an apparent lack of "depth" ... especially skies .. on screen you can see the definition of clouds etc etc but as prints it is just a white haze.

Any reason for the last two?

(p.s. my camera does not have a saturation setting .. hmmmmmfff)
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2003, 4:46 AM   #2

well, its the thing with ICC-profiles. The color settings on your monitor can make the photos look different than they do printed.

And of course printers aren't perfect either.... its just the way it is..

you could try another company next time to see if they give better prints...
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 7:22 AM   #3

The company I used in UK offer a print of a target last used for calibration. They use Fuji Frontiers and I managed to find an ICC default profile. I sugested to them that it would be useful if when they calibrated their machines they could put the re-calibrated profile on their web site.

Although it's a bit crude, by sending out the printed target they are saying 'put this alongside your monitor and what you see should look the same'. I suppose with some software you could analyse the colour tiles and build up your own monitor profile from their target.

Alfisti, did you get the impression they auto-balanced your originals? I heard that if their machine picks up a PS edited file from the EXIF, they leave it alone, but if it's the straight camera shot they attempt to get the best result on exposure and colour balance.

My first batch of prints at 3Mpix from my 602 were ok, but had a tendency for looking soft (although detail was definitely there). I'm now shooting 6Mpix soft with post USM. Next time I get some printed I might vary the USM levels. I did notice that the prints which looked the least flatest were ones which on a PC monitor looked to high in contrast. On the other hand, I had some low light sunset pics that looked flat and miserable on a monitor but looked great in print.

The other thing is they are printing at 300dpi , so next time I might down sample the res. and compare PS tweaks at 2Mpix (6X4) and 6Mpix. Might need to apply more sharpening and USM for small prints.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 6:02 PM   #4

Well i think i need to clarify that overall they look pretty damn good so i am not really complaining.

Vox, yes my company uses frontiers too ..... i justt feel that yes .. a TAD soft and just seems to have losta little colour saturation ... but shadows looka LOT better ... especially beach scenes when shooting into that sun that just refuses to go away
Old Jul 28, 2003, 10:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I did notice that the prints which looked the least flatest were ones which on a PC monitor looked to high in contrast. On the other hand, I had some low light sunset pics that looked flat and miserable on a monitor but looked great in print.

The other thing is they are printing at 300dpi , so next time I might down sample the res. and compare PS tweaks at 2Mpix (6X4) and 6Mpix. Might need to apply more sharpening and USM for small prints.
Agreed on all 3 points .. contrast, sunsets looking good and the need for extra sharpening of small prints.