Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2003, 10:43 AM   #1

Default shutter speed

I was playing with the ol Cannon G2 at the River trying to get the shot that I've seen many times on the net were a person takes a picture of the running river with the sutter speed slowed down so that the water actually looks like it's running. My problem though was that every pic I took was white wash'd

Did I have the shutter open to long ?? There are so many things this camera can do I have yet to touch the surface.
nickrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2003, 10:52 AM   #2

would you not have to make the aperture size smaller so as not to let as much light in?
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 11:41 AM   #3

I had it set for Manual shutter speed and auto Arpiture. But I think I have to try and find the right setting for the shutter to long wash out even at the highest arpiture
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:03 PM   #4

It's hard to tell what's going on without samples, but the problem with using aperture priority (A) mode is that the camera will try to compensate for whatever shutter speed you choose (think of a pan balance). What you need is to have both manual. For instance, this picture taken by someone in the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group has a 10 second exposure with f6.3:

http://www.angryziber.com/angryshots...y/P6283732.JPG

If they had used A mode, the lens would have opened wide up to compensate for the darkness and ruined the picture.

Since digital is inexpensive (once you bought the equipment) suggest you experiment when you get a situation like this and keep adjusting different settings till you get one you like on the LCD.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:21 PM   #5

This subject has been covered in several posts, may be search “waterfall” …
Your cam has manual mode, so it’s perfect for this. Use the slow speed you like, close the aperture . If the aperture is not small enough (max F value) , then add neutral density filters ( these filters are very cheap , get some at different “darkness” )
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:22 PM   #6

I'll have to dunp the pics I took onto the PC and see how they turned out. I know that in looking at the LCD for some of the ones I took the screen was completly white .. I will have to find some sort of a chart that tells me how to read the shutter speed settings i.e 1/100 is X Secs and 1/8-? .5 =? etc
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:37 PM   #7

nickrage
Not the thread I think about but found these ….

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...hlight=neutral

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ight=waterfall

From the value metered by the cam in auto mode at the actual situation , then go just for manual exposure , down 1 stop for speed , then up one stop for the aperture (or the equivalent with neutral density filter)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote