Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 3, 2007, 5:59 PM   #1

I am investigating consumer digital cameras / camcorders / hybrids that can capture VGA (640x480) or higher resolution videos at 60 frames per second. I am only aware of Sanyo HD1 / HD1a so far. (I exclude professional or semi-pro models that cost over US$2000, like some JVC 720p camcorders.)

If anoyone knows of any other models I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.
ssiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2007, 5:17 PM   #2

All miniDV camcorders record at 720x480 (NTSC), assuming you mean 60i and not 60p.

For 60p you will be looking at high end miniDV and HD/HDV camcorders.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 8:45 AM   #3

Thanks. Yes I mean 60p and not 60i. Apparently there are no other consumer-level devices than the Sanyos. And the new Sanyo HD2 dropped the 60p VGA mode because of "lack of consumer demand"!
Old May 5, 2007, 8:56 AM   #4

Maybe I am missing something here.... but why on eaarth is 60 fps of any importance at ALL if you are still talking about 640x480 or 700 x whatever?? It still just faster relatively crappy video?? Do you actaully see 30 fps flicker? Most do see film 24 fps but not TV 30 fps especially with phosphor lag (in CRT terms) and honestly I don't even on LCD's which unlike CRT's don't really even have a blanking interval... just constant refresh.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 4:02 PM   #5

well aiptek go-hd looksmighty economy fine
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 11:06 PM   #6

640x480 does not have to be crappy video; it is near-DVD resolution, and DVD can look very good even on a 1080p HDTV (with a good scaler).

60p can be useful for fast-action shots (e.g. sports -- you can slow down playback and still get smooth motion video).

I agree that 30p is good enough for the majority of situations. But I think the main reason for "lack of 60p consumer demand" is "lack of consumer education". It is a chicken-and-egg thing ...
Old May 6, 2007, 6:32 PM   #7

Progressive scan video is very uncommon in consumer grade video cameras, so I would be very surprised to find it in any p&s camera at anything approaching standard defintion resolution.

The reason interlaced is so prevalent is because every television can read an interlaced signal, but only HDTVs and some other higher end displays can read progressive. All movie DVDs are interlaced. When a 24p movie is put on a DVD, it has to be converted to a 30fps (60 fields per second) interlaced format which then requires a progressive scan player to put the signal back together.

Most consumers who are interested in capturing video with either a video camera or a still camera will likely want to display the video on their tv and possibly share it with others. This means creating a video dvd. I don't think many consumers really want to be bothered with converting their videos from one format to another.

60p is something very few people would know what to do with. The only point of capturing video at 60fps, interlaced or not, is to play it back in smooth, slow motion. This requires some more in-depth knowledge of video editing and would be a relatively expensive feature to implement in a consumer camera.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote