Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2003, 3:09 PM   #1

Default Nikon D100 vs Canon E10D

new to the list. :roll:

i wanna get me a new D-SLR...i've been a Nikon Guy for longtime...former pro shooter, got some D series AF lenses

Of course it seems the Nikon is the way to go because of loyalty and gear...i also got two coolpix 995

ready to buy but NOW but someone says i should go CANON...i know lots of pros have switched to Canon

any thoughts or comparison reviews...S2 looks nice but more $$

thanks

robert
mrpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2003, 3:49 PM   #2

The only advice I can offer is the answer I have heard/seen from a similar question, which is:

<semi-quote>
If you have the hardware from Nikon, then go with the D100 and if you have Canon hardware go with the E10D. This is because these cameras are so close in quality/features that you can not go wrong with either one.
<end-semi-quote>
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 4:36 PM   #3

Go for the D100!! Then again, I may be a little biased... :roll: See what type of photography you're gonna be doing, are you considering a comeback to the pro market or just want a DSLR for your recreational needs? Also, Canon's had an edge over Nikon on long zooms with image stabilization, but Nikon is starting to fight back (see new 200-400mm f/4 AF-S VR). Whatever floats your boat, but if you got Nikon glass already, and they are the AF-D type, you're already halfway there. I have a 24mm f/2.8 IS lens, but it will not fit my D100, nor an F5 I borrow from time to time, so I can only use it on my N4004s - these days I don't shoot that much film anyway, mainly digital now
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 7:59 PM   #4

I could go into a 10D vs. D100 comparison (I own the 10D, I casually borrow the D100 on occasion.) But why? You can get that info in many places. I'll only do it if you ask.

From what you've stated (not much) I can only safely go one down one avenue of logic.

What I say is that for most people, money matters. You will loose money if you sell your Nikon-mount lenses and replace them with Canon-mount lenses. Can you afford to loose the money? What does the Canon camera/lenses offer that Nikon doesn't have/do? Is it worth the extra money?

For most people, when I hear they have lenses which would work on the D100, I tell them to buy the D100. They both are very good cameras for the money.

When I purchased the 10D, I had no lenses. I purchased because the long lens are much cheaper and have IS. Nikon will add VR eventually, but I'm enjoying it now and I saved money over the Nikon lenses to boot. Since you have D lenses, you should think seriously about the cost of switching and then decide if it's worth it. If not, your decision has been made.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 6:33 AM   #5

I'd say build on your existing Nikon investment. The D100 works with AF-D and AF-G lenses, so if you've got them, you've already cut your total costs.

One a personal note, I consider them both to be very fine cameras.

As I was buying from scratch the main things that swung me to the D100 were -

1) My previous Nikon experience with the CP4500.
2) Looking at much admirable D100 work (particularly Klaus's web site).
3) The fact that a dealer had a D100 that they could demonstrate.

Best of luck in your final choice.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 8:23 AM   #6
Boo

Quote:
You will loose money if you sell your Nikon-mount lenses and replace them with Canon-mount lenses. Can you afford to loose the money?
I'll hopefully upgrade to a dSLR at some time in the not-too-distant future (using a Fuji 602 at present) and have wondered if the dSLRs can't use each others lenses - can you not get mount converters?

I have an old Olympus OM1 and I'm sure in the past I've used my father's Nikon lenses on it with a conversion mount or something? I've often wondered this as it's very restictive to a brand if you buy expensive accessories, you're tied into that brand without taking losses and making a significant investment in new lensware to change brands.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 8:36 AM   #7

Sigma, Tokina, Tamron and other less known brands make lenses for Nikon mount, just take a look at the adds in camera magazines As for lens mount converters, you'd have to do a search, but perhaps with luck you may find what you need
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 11:23 AM   #8

thanks for the advice

i am gonna get the D100

mainly because i've always had nikon stuff and like the LOOK too...

probably add a MB10d grip and a 12-24 maybe or the affordable 18-35

thanks robo
Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:55 PM   #9

Watch out for the DX lens lineup. If you can wait, they might be cheaper than getting what you list. (Assuming those aren't DX lenses.) They should have less materials, so hopefully they'll be smaller and cheaper than the equivalent "normal" lenses.

Of course, if you can't wait... then you can't wait. I understand that too.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 1:39 PM   #10

who knew these D100 cameras were BACKordered!! walked into my photo store with a smile and CASH...couldnt even SEE one

plus i'm leaning toward the new SIGMA 15-30AF which WILL work on film cameras too