Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 9, 2007, 4:48 PM   #1

I am going to a wedding this weekend and would like to take some pictures in the church (I think natural light and the museum setting inSP mode should work). How about the reception; I would liketo take some shots without the flash, is that possible with this camera and still get decent pictures?!? Or should I just use the flash and say to heck with their eyes. :|

Let me know about any hints, tips or suggestions you have for me, it will be appreciated.

Camera is a Fuji S6000FD.

Thanks,

Ken
ktrjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2007, 5:14 PM   #2

I would go ahead and use the flash at the reception. The Bride would probably welcome any copy's of your pictures.

At the actual wedding ceremony I would not use the flash and I would make a great effort to stay out of the professional photographers way.

Taking pictures of the ceremony would be fine as long as you do not disturb the guests when doing your picture taking.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 7:43 PM   #3

I agree with Ronnie's advice. Use the flash at the reception - you don't want people to have to hold still so you can take a shot with a 1/15 shutter speed. Reception halls are usually not brightly lit - and even the best low light cameras won't get exceptional results. You could give it a try for a couple shots just to see what happens - but plan on using flash for most of your shots - you want as many as possible to be keepers so you don't want to be shooting at ISO 800 or 1600. As for the wedding - don't use flash.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 1:17 PM   #4

In case you are unaware....
Wedding photography is very hard. You aren't really doing that (you're just bringing a camera and hoping to get shots - that is different from "working a wedding") but I thought I'd mention is so you're warned.

There are many aspects that get you good wedding pictures. Since you're going to take what you can get (As opposed to run the show) here is what I would suggest:
- Test getting correct exposure. Setup a white shirt next to a black shirt and take the picture. Try to get detail in both shirts... this will be hard. Try at various exposures and see what you can do. Experiment and learn.
- Look for the special moments away from others. The little kid getting the carnation pinned to his tux. Stuff like that... stuff the pro will miss 'cause he is elsewhere shooting a "formal" shot. You're able to roam so take advantage of it.
- Try to be very aware of what is going on around you. That is how you see things that others miss.
- Don't get in the way. Of the Pro photographer or the other guests.
- Have fun. It is a wedding, a very special occasion. So don't forget you're there for that too.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 1:29 PM   #5

If your camera has the natural light mode (as fuji S5200 and F9100 have) you may want to try that durning the ceremony part to avoid using the flash.

Also bring along your biggest memory cards and plently of them (whjat ever you have) and plently of battery power. As a general rule the three weddings I have done as favors to my cousins and brother is to shoot shoot shoot and delete later on so I don't miss any important shots. Check your images often to make sure the exposure is ok and that they are not too dim or blury.

I did find for the dancing part of the reception I had to use ISO 200 and +1.5 exposure with the built in camera flash on Fuji S5200.

Look for causal shoots the main professional photographer will not be after. Take shots of the guests having fun, people dancing etc. One person can't get ever shot so try to get a different prospective and shoots when possible. I am ure a CD with your best shots will be a very welcome gift for the bride and groom.

Have a good time.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 5:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, that is kind of what I thought but just wanted to see if I had forgotten anything. This is one of my cousins' wedding and our family has a habit of everyone with a camera taking pictures (tons of pictures), then get copies, and one set goes to the "New Couple". I have a one gig card and four sets of batteries and my wife is taking her lap-top to download as needed.

Hopefully I will get a few shots that will work. I think this is half the fun of a new camera taking all sorts of pictures and learning as I go. :-)
Old May 11, 2007, 9:29 PM   #7

ktrjc, my son recently got married and, to save him money, I became the "professional photographer." Since I was in the ceremony,another son shot the vows section, and I did the set pieces and the reception. Not all of what I had would be relevant for you since it was an outdoor wedding, but I did the indoor reception with no flash at ISO 800. The room was a little dark because of heavy rain that started minutes after we came in from the wedding.

The s6000fd performed like the "low-light champion" it's reputed to be. The only photos with which I had any noise problem at all were a couple of reception photos that were blown to 8.5 to 11 for printing. However, many of the shots would have definitely been improved with flash.

If you'd like to see the shots, the wedding is at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trojans...7600084965451/

The reception photos are at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trojans...7600088041018/

Have fun and trust your camera. It's a good one.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 11:41 AM   #8

Hi Trojansoc,

Your wedding pictures are really nice. I'm sure they are going to make a great album. Ken's pictures should look just as good. He has a good camera and if he stays careful everything will be fine.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 8:07 PM   #9

It is a really a nice picture.You have cptured all the moods very nicely
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 9:40 AM   #10

Well, over the weekend I took 570 photos, probably about 30-40 were no good, out of focus or someone walked in front of my camera. I have not went through all the photos in detail yet. Some of my photos in the Church were grainy, I was at almost full zoom, natural light and museum mode. The ones outside of the reception turned out pretty good and a few inside were nice. Here are a few:

Walking down the aisle as husband and wife:

The reception was here, Henry Ford Estate

Some photos of the wedding party in one of the gardens.

Stopped short by her dress. . .

Talking to their guests in the dining room

One of the dance floor. (Shot in "Party" mode) The room was a little too big to light with the flash.