Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 10, 2007, 11:17 AM   #1

:sad:I have tried two micro drives a Hitachi 6GB and a Magistor 2.2GB in my S9500 and only the Magistor works in my Camera although both give a card error message when fitted in the camera with an XD card of any size, the camera has been back to Fuji who said the camera was OK and they got the same result using another brand new camera. Does anyone know what Micro Drive will work when inserted with an XD card. Hitachi Micro Drive works in my card reader. Any ideas? Cheers Barry
The Renegade Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2007, 1:31 PM   #2

can it run both cards together??

have u tried with just microdrive in it and have u formated the card in the camera?

are the cards brand new?

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 11:25 PM   #3

I would strongly uggest srapping the microdriver and going with compact flash cards of 2GB or 4GB size instead both of those should work. My experience and that through people I ntwork with at work is avoid micro drives when possible they tend to be error happy in a lot of digital camera. I have a 2GB in my 9100 with a 1GB xD also and both cards work perfectly.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 1:50 AM   #4

They also are rather fragile, just squeezing (let alone step on) one can easily kill them, and they use MUCH more power than a standard CF.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 10:45 PM   #5

I checked with a friend of mine in CSI photography that has access to alot of camera info and loads of camera pros and he said

"do not use microdroivers as they use 3x as much battery power and fail often...."

"However the camera in question should work with a 2GB or 4GB Microdriver if you o choose"

As the reason it is not working he suggested you try to reformat it in camera if you can get that far with it or reformat uing a CF/Micrdriver card reader and see if that solves the problem"

He also suggested sandisc Ultra II cards for Fuji cameras.

Hope this helps

dave
Old May 20, 2007, 6:21 PM   #6

Besides being fragile and temperamental, there's another downside to Microdrives that hasn't been mentioned - they tend to heat up under heavy usage,possibly causing the camera to shut down just before you get that perfect shot. High-capacity CF cards are so cheap now that Microdrives are pointless anyway.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 9:59 PM   #7

Staples is selling a 2GB Sandisc Ultea II CF card this week for I think $35....... The prices on CF cards are certainly coming down.

dave