Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 15, 2007, 4:28 AM   #1

I had a quick look at noise ninja, but i was put off by the price when it was converted into GBP, its rip off Britain again!

Any recommendations for noise reduction software, or do I just have to take the big hit with noise ninja which works out to be about $60 right now.

dumfriesdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2007, 5:51 AM   #2

Before you pay, you might try downloading evaluation copies (where possible) of the various alternatives and testing them with your camera's photos, since I think some NR programs work better with the files produced with certain camera manufacturers than with others. I personally didn't like the artifacts produced by Noise Ninja in my high-ISO shots. My own favorites are Neatimage (USD $29.90 for home edition) and Noiseware (USD $29.95 for standalone).

YMMV
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 11:55 PM   #3

Try Picture Cooler, its Freeware/Poscardware and it does the job as well as the others, I have the freeware versions of NeatImage and Noiseware and they only allow you to save as medium compression JPG's, PC allows you to save as JPG, BMP and Exif preserved Tiff.

http://denoiser.shorturl.com/

Has a rough looking page, the download link is right at the top left of the page.

Max
Ausimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 7:54 AM   #4

http://www.imagenomic.com/products.aspx

Go to the download page and look down at the bottom for their Community edition - it's free.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 6:53 PM   #5

I'll put in another vote for NeatImage. I've got both that, and Noise Ninja, and they both do very good work. I personally think Noise Ninja can be a little agressive where Neat Image will be a bit on the conservative side.

Keep in mind these are only my results, and I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sure somebody who has been using them longer could probably do better, but both have been sufficient for my needs. As you may have guessed by my admission that I'm fairly a novice with noise removal, I keep to pretty much automatic settings.

good luck

-Jeff
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 10:00 PM   #6

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
http://www.imagenomic.com/products.aspx

Go to the download page and look down at the bottom for their Community edition - it's free.
As I said in my previous post it works well but the community edition only allows you to save as a compressed Jpg, and that is not useful if you wish to print from them.

I have been checking it out because I am waiting to receive a heap of underexposed photos of my granddaughter's Uni graduation ceremony to rework and being shot inside you can bet they will have heaps of noise as well, and I need something that I can retain the original file-size.

Max
Ausimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 10:45 PM   #7

Don't understand why you feel you can't print from a compressed jpeg file... I have and with good results, although I would prefer to save as uncompressed tif.

Picture Cooler is a pretty good program. I tested it with 2 photos, and found NeatImage CE did slightly better as far as "quick and dirty" noise reduction goes... but with tweaking, the 2 programs would probably be pretty similar.

I did take issue with Picture Cooler's installer behavior and program elegance. The installer added an icon to my system tray without asking - very rude! There is also no uninstall service. The program interface is not very intuitive, imo.

All in all, a useful tool to add to the arsenal, and thank you for posting the link!

PS - I was unable to get the download link to work with Firefox - I had to switch to IE.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:29 PM   #8

neat image.
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote