Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 30, 2003, 9:59 AM   #1

Default xD or CF??? How bout Microdrive? G3 or C-750Ultra Zoom?

Quick Question: I posted earlier asking about cameras, and haven't held them in my hands, but has anyone had any experience witht the Canon G3 camera AND the Olympus C-750 ultra zoom? I'm leaning more towards the 750 because of the 10x optical zoom, but I have one follow up question:

Is Compact flash faster than xD? I have read that Microdrives amazingly speed up camera speeds, but they're expensive, so I'd like your input on the Microdrive, but esp on CF vs. xD...

Thanks a ton!

J
ghstinshll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:38 AM   #2

Regarding your memory question, CF is faster than xD on professional models. The only comparison I know of is in the upcoming Olympus E-1, where xD performed significantly slower than CF or MD (xD used in camera with a xD->CF adapter). On consumer models the difference is negligeable since these cameras can't write fast enough to take advantage of highspeed CF's or Microdrives. Check out the memory forum for more info, MD's are't that expensive, but CF is getting cheaper and cheaper and for the same money you get solid state memory w/ no moving parts. Perhaps the new upcoming 4GB MD will increase competition with CF once more.

I'll let someone else help you regarding your camera question
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:55 AM   #3
kex

Quote:
Regarding your memory question, CF is faster than xD on professional models. The only comparison I know of is in the upcoming Olympus E-1, where xD performed significantly slower than CF or MD (xD used in camera with a xD->CF adapter).
I thought xD cards are faster than CF cards, at least they're meant to be faster
I got both, xD for my Fuji and CF for my Canon, and I didn't recognize any differences in the speed of both cards.

However, xD cards have one big advantage: They're very tiny and the capacity will increase in the next years. (up to 8 GB)
But they're too expensive I think.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
But they're too expensive I think.
Like em all they'll come down in price as demand increases.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:39 AM   #5

Here's a review comparing write speeds of xD, CF and MD on an Olympus C-5050:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olym...50z/page10.asp

I'm actully impressed prosumer cameras are aproaching pro cameras in write speed, this is a good thing!

On the C-5050 the top write speed was:
xD = 858.8KB/s
CF = 1520.8KB/s
MD = 1280.7KB/s

But you shouldn't buy a camera solely on the type of memory it uses. If the small form factor of xD is what you want, then go for it
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote