gryphonslair99 wrote:
Quote:
Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
Of 6 cameras and more lenses than I can count, only one p&s camera has IS, and the presence of IS was not a factor in my decision to buy that camera.
But if you are a beginner wouldn't this help? Could be that one photo thats a one time shot and it helped cause you had it?
My personal opinion is that a beginner should learn the basics and not rely on crutches. Having IS may give a false sense of security and make it harder to understand the reason when a photo goes bad. It's easier to sort out the variables when you have fewer variables to begin with. OTOH, if the OP is just interested in getting snapshots of the family, then whatever works . . .

Amen.
Not bad, looks just a bit newer than my first camera!

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 12:53 PM   #12

bimmerboi wrote:
Quote:
is image stabilization a must have feature?
Only you can answer that question.

Have you ever missed an important shot because of camera shake?

If you have, then image stabilization was a must have feature then, wasn't it?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 2:31 PM   #13

add me to the masses - IS can be useful, but it is just one feature among many. As suggested, ESPECIALLY IN COMPACT CAMERAS (rather than superzoom) I wouldn't cross off a camera because it doesn't have IS.

If you were down to 2 cameras and they were exactly the same in every regard but camera X had IS and camera Y didn't - sure go with the one that has IS. Unfortunately I don't think that situation exists with any 2 cameras - there are always other feature set differences to consider. Good luck in your search!!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 11:17 PM   #14

I'minclined to believe OIS an essential on super-zoom and nice to have but not a deal breaker on compact cameras. Then again I was hand-holding slow shutter speeds before OIS was invented.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 5:05 AM   #15
Super Moderator

Not essential and I agree that everyone should learn to use cameras properly however with modern compacts it is harder to learn proper technique as you don't even have a viewfinder to when holding at arms length shake is increased a lot making it more important.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you want to learn camera techniques get a camera that has a viewfinder and don't use IS while you learn good old fashion methods and controlling settings to get the best out of it, if you just want to get shots then go for a camera with IS.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 3:48 AM   #16

bimmerboi wrote:
Quote:
i am not a professional photographer.. actually, im off to buy my first camera. im just looking for compact cameras that i can take with me everyday. ill be taking pictures mostly when i travel, or when im with friends, or when i go out for clubbing and stuff like that. now my question.. is image stabilization a must have feature?
Thing is IS/SR is NOT a CURE ALLL

It is an aid..... the better your aiming holding skils the better you results witl be.... more f/stops of effective correction.

If you just wave the camera around, and JAB the shutter... don't expect ANY real improvement.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:29 AM   #17

well like i said i am no professional photographer. and ill be using the camera for 'casual' shooting. correct me if i am wrong but based on your opinions, im better off with the IS feature. i simply want to shoot, and get that shot correctly, without having to worry about using tripods/leaning against a wall and stuff like that.
bimmerboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:49 AM   #18

bimmerboi wrote:
Quote:
well like i said i am no professional photographer. and ill be using the camera for 'casual' shooting. correct me if i am wrong but based on your opinions, im better off with the IS feature. i simply want to shoot, and get that shot correctly, without having to worry about using tripods/leaning against a wall and stuff like that.
Thats how I feel.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 9:39 AM   #19

If you have it, you can use it or not.

If you don't have it, you can't ever use it.

If you have it, you may never know that you used it.

If you don't have it, you'll know when you could have used it.

Be safe. Get it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 10:18 AM   #20

Well said TCav.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote