Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 20, 2007, 6:39 AM   #1

i am not a professional photographer.. actually, im off to buy my first camera. im just looking for compact cameras that i can take with me everyday. ill be taking pictures mostly when i travel, or when im with friends, or when i go out for clubbing and stuff like that. now my question.. is image stabilization a must have feature?
bimmerboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2007, 8:23 AM   #2

bimmerboi wrote:
Quote:
... , or when i go out for clubbing ...
If that is going to be a major issue, image sabilization *MIGHT* let you work at a slow enough shutter speed in low light. There is a good chance that you won't be able to get any photo even with IS in a compact camera.

IS is usefull, but watch out that you are really getting IS. Some cameras advertise IS when what they are really doing is bosting ISO with the increase in noise that comes with that.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 8:23 AM   #3

Desirable? Yes. Must have? No. Like any other feature your situation dictates the effectiveness. IS comes in handy mostfor those long hand-held tele shots or times when you may not be able to steady the camera (one-handed shooting, for example). While you used to pay quite a premium for this feature it is now available on some models for only a modest mark-up, so the question is rapidly becoming moot.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 8:37 AM   #4

I just bought my first camera that has this the Sony H5 it is a very nice feature. I one day for kicks didn't pay attention to how steady I was and just clicked away and no burry shots. So for me I like it very much.:G
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 9:03 AM   #5

IS a must have feature? No, definately not. Useful... yes, but I would not cross any camera off my list because it did not have IS.

Of 6 cameras and more lenses than I can count, only one p&s camera has IS, and the presence of IS was not a factor in my decision to buy that camera.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 9:11 AM   #6

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
IS a must have feature? No, definately not. Useful... yes, but I would not cross any camera off my list because it did not have IS.

Of 6 cameras and more lenses than I can count, only one p&s camera has IS, and the presence of IS was not a factor in my decision to buy that camera.
But if you are a beginner wouldn't this help? Could be that one photo thats a one time shot and it helped cause you had it?
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 9:52 AM   #7

The Sony H5 zoom tops out at 432mm - in this case, IS would prove very useful, since it would probably be difficult to hold steady at that focal length. But since the OP is looking for a compact cam...with maybe a maximum focal length of around 115mm, holding steady shouldn't be much of an issue. IS will enable the user to attain better low light pics, since it helps reduce camera shake, however I think it's important to let the OP know that IS does not stop blurring if the subject moves. Taking pics in clubs means low light levels, and groups of people who probably will not or can not hold still for more than a nanosecond. Therefore, if flash is not used, the pics will be blurry, no matter what compact camera is used. Therefore IS is not a must have feature in this case.

If the camera you want has IS, great, but I wouldn't avoid a given compact camera because it doesn't have IS.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 10:10 AM   #8

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
But if you are a beginner wouldn't this help? Could be that one photo thats a one time shot and it helped cause you had it?
My personal opinion is that a beginner should learn the basics and not rely on crutches. Having IS may give a false sense of security and make it harder to understand the reason when a photo goes bad. It's easier to sort out the variables when you have fewer variables to begin with. OTOH, if the OP is just interested in getting snapshots of the family, then whatever works . . .

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 10:51 AM   #9

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
My personal opinion is that a beginner should learn the basics and not rely on crutches. Having IS may give a false sense of security and make it harder to understand the reason when a photo goes bad. It's easier to sort out the variables when you have fewer variables to begin with. OTOH, if the OP is just interested in getting snapshots of the family, then whatever works . . .

Amen.
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 11:47 AM   #10

gryphonslair99 wrote:
Quote:
Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:

Amen.
Attached Images

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote