Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 21, 2007, 5:17 PM   #1

When you are shopping for the best price you can, how do you know if the place you are looking at really even exists? Would you buy from a place that you never heard of?

Im trying to decide on a camera and while Id really love a DSLR I dont think I can afford one. I have found some outrageous deals on some kits, but am too afraid to take a chance since Ive never heard of the site. Im weery enough about buying online.

Any online bargain hunting tips?
SDIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2007, 5:35 PM   #2

"Caveat Emptor ..."

"If it sounds too good to be true, ..."

"A fool and his money ..."

Stop me if you've heard these.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 5:45 PM   #3

lol!

I figured so much. I REALLY want to be able to afford a DSLR and the accessories needed but I just dont think I can. I found a D40 kit online for $399, but its a place Ive never heard of and seems too good to be true. sigh
Old May 21, 2007, 6:01 PM   #4

If you really want a dSLR at a good price, try "used."

KEH.com has a pretty good selection, and Adorama.com has some too.

Edit: And both are highly reputable.
Old May 21, 2007, 6:05 PM   #5

Im not sure how I feel about buying used... I wouldnt have any kind of waranty unless they offered an add on one?
Old May 21, 2007, 6:14 PM   #6

SDIX wrote:
Quote:
Im not sure how I feel about buying used... I wouldnt have any kind of waranty unless they offered an add on one?
Like new equipment at about half price, plus "... 14 day no-hassle return policy and 60 day warranty on all used equipment ..." - KEH

Take a look, What can it hurt?- TCav
Old May 21, 2007, 7:02 PM   #7

SDIX wrote:
Quote:
When you are shopping for the best price you can, ....
If you go to the place that has the lowest price, you are pretty much guarenteed to be dealing with some kind of scam.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 7:48 PM   #8

what about walmart cameras? I should steer clear of a camera there just because they are walmart, right?

if not then I can afford a DSLR but barely. I might not get it, but with our discount it will only put me a few dollars over my $500 budget. I really dont want to spend that much right now though... so Ill probably not get it, but they have other cameras there that I am looking at that I can get a discount on.

So walmart cameras are ok, right?
Old May 21, 2007, 7:56 PM   #9

Wal Mart is buying directly from the manufacturer and is charging essentially list price. If it's on sale at Wal Mart the manufacturer has, in essence, lowered the price. In our area Wal Mart, Ritz retail store, and the local camera store Camera Corner are all selling at the same price, retail.

To get below that you'll have to shop the net and then you have to really check out the dealer. If the on-line name or address has anything to doe with Broadway run the other way.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 8:27 PM   #10

SDIX wrote:
Quote:
what about walmart cameras? I should steer clear of a camera there just because they are walmart, right?
I have my own opinion about Wal*Mart - but even I do not think they are a scam outfit. If you look on the web, you will find lots of places that come in cheaper than Wal*Mart and the lowest priced outfits will be scams (98% probability).

Wal*Mart is not often the cheapest place: compare their prices to places like Office Depot, B&H, Adorama, Buydig, and other reputable dealers. Very rarely is price a good reason to go to Wal*Mart unless you are looking for something cheap as opposed to inexpensive. When you compare Wal*Mart prices on things that really can be compared (Nikon, Canon, ...) they are often not the lowest price. Looking at things like shirts they are often the lowest price - and often the cr*ppiest quality to go with it.

So yes, steer clear of Wal*mart.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote