Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2003, 4:54 PM   #1

Default Which camera with large optical zoom? (aerial photography)

Hello everybody!

I was wondering what recommendations you all have for a long optical zoom camera. I will be using it to take aerial photographs. I've been using a Sony Mavica FD-91 (14x optical; no digital zoom) for a few years now, and it does pretty good, but I'd like to upgrade. What I've been looking at is the Olympus C750. It looks like the perfect camera, but I have reservations about not having a vibration damper on it. It gets pretty bumpy some days, but on average it's about as bumpy as a car ride. Any suggestions? Any other aerial photographers out there? I should also mention I'd like to spend under $800 for sure.

Thank you,
-Brett
AirVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:28 PM   #2

In your specific case, I would recommend getting a used Canon PRO90. It has image stabilization and 380mm zoom, and it's actual resolution measures almost the same as the C750, despite it only being an effective 2.5mp camera. Will cost $400-$500 for an excellent condition unit off of ebay.

Canon Pro90, Extinction: 1100 lp/ph

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD.../P90RESWLF.HTM

Olympus C750, Extinction: 1200-1225 lp/ph

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD.../C75RESWLF.HTM

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:30 PM   #3

If you really need the image stabilization, maybe you should consider the Panasonic DMC-FZ1...it's a 2mp 12x optical zoom, but with very few manual controls.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:39 PM   #4

The Pro90 is a great camera... you can add a TCON-17 telephoto converter for about a hundred bucks (you'll need a stepdown 58-58mm ring). This will give you about a 625mm stabilized lens. If you need more than 2.6 megapixels, you'll have to go to a digital SLR camera with a big zoom stabilized lens which will cost a LOT.

I'm able to print Super A-3 (13 X 19 inch ) pictures with my Pro90 using Genuine Fractals. The camera has a ton of features, but isn't the best for focusing in low light.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:38 PM   #5

Hey, thanks for the heads up up the Pro90. The onlyl thing is find it for sale. I really don't want to buy off of ebay, any other suggestions for find one?

The Panasonic DMC-FZ1 would be perfect if it didn't have all the automatic controls.

Thanks,
-Brett
AirVenture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:44 PM   #6

Sorry, ebay is your best chance. Why no ebay? Using a credit card through PayPal is perfectly safe. If it's a fradulent seller your protected. Personally, I purchase stuff from ebay often.

-chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2003, 8:42 PM   #7
lg

If you can't find the Pro90IS, consider the Olympus C-2100. It's 2.1 vs 2.6MP, but has same lens and image stabilization. Plenty of refurbs can be found for a deal on eBay... and if you find one on eBay but still feel uncomfortable about using it, you can always contact the seller directly-- there's a lot of reputable refurb resellers out there that will do business either way.

BTW, for what you are doing, the TCON 1.7 teleconverter would be an excellent choice.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote