Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 31, 2003, 5:54 PM   #1

Default Olympus E-10 vs Sigma SD-9

Hey Everyone,

I need some help here. Sometimes I try to act like I know something about cameras and I really dont :shock: . Anyways, what my question is:

I have any Olympus E-10 with the Portrait grip and a 1gig compact flash card. But I am thinking that I would like to sell my E-10 and the grip and see if possibly hang onto the gig card if I could but if not that would be ok. But I just wanna know if it would be a wise choice to move to the Sigma SD-9? From what I have read and seen it seems fantastic with minor prereleased flaws I am sure they have taken care of (cross my fingers).

But the big reason on why I am considering changing is being able to change lenses and the prices are much lower then the telephoto 3x that is getting more and more expensive as I wait.

Plz let me know your thoughs about this. I would really like to know from a more knolledgeable camera guy/lady.

(I probably made like 50 typo's, sorry)
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:38 PM   #2

What is your intended primary use? The Sigma SD-9 seems to me like an excellent studio camera. However, it is not a versatile camera with usable high ISO or long exposure times without severe noise problems. If your use is primarily under controlled/ideal light conditins I would recommend it.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 9:05 PM   #3

I plan to take this camera for Portaits, Scenic Views and a here-n-there shot or 2. I don't plan to take long exposers or unusual lighting situations. I just pretty much want a better picture then the E-10, and interchangable lenses at a reasonable price (ie $1000-$1500 including a lens to get started)
Old Aug 1, 2003, 12:10 PM   #4

Having had both these cameras (I still have my E10) - I can tell you that the SD9 is a dynamite tool when used within the limitations of reasonable lighting.

Since assuming you have no present investment in lenses, Sigma offers several excellent lenses which may give you lots of possibilities. The 50-500 is an incredible lens, and compared to the list price of the TCON-300 (I have this one too) it's a bargain for around $800. For wide angle (you need pretty wide to get average wide with the SD9 because of the 1.7x field of view) you can get the excellent 15-30 which works out to about a 25-51mm on the SD9. The 105mm macro is another must have for this camera.

There are a few "niggles" with the battery situation - you will need to buy and keep several available, but overall the SD9 is a dynamite camera. It takes extremely sharp images and the new version of conversion software is excellent in every way.

This camera is definitely a bargain at current prices. I would still have mine if I could justify another complete lens set (I have both Nikon and Canon already) but it found a great home in Switzerland with a photographer who loves and appreciates it!

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 1:09 PM   #5

What was your experience in downloading images from the Sigma? I didn't like the sounds of the proprietary download software, can't downlaod right into Photo Shop, added an extra step......THX
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 1:43 PM   #6

There's nothing "proprietary" about downloading the Sigma images, but they are all in RAW format. PhotoPro software (supplied) is used to convert, but Adobe RAW converter which works as a PhotoShop plugin also will convert.

I use card readers and would never go through the process of pluging the camera into the computer to offload images - it's just too much drain on batteries and too much hooking up and disconnecting wires. Just use an inexpensive card reader and copy the files wherever. Use provided PhotoPro software (excellent all around) or Adobe to convert to jpg or tiff as desired.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 5:49 PM   #7

Well I made my first purchase for the camera.
I got the (All around) lens for it.

COMPACT HYPERZOOM 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 ASPHERICAL
"The original, highly convenient all-in-one zoom lens now takes a smaller filter size, but what is more important, shows considerable optical improvement."

Retail $450.00 - Purchased it for $200 New.

Is this 10.7x Zoom? Just curious. But basicly, I just want something that is an "All around" style lens as of right now until
I really find out what exactly I want. But anyways, please give me more imput if you know any... Ive heard alot of good about this camera so far, and very little bad things. Im all excited now...

Russell
Old Aug 1, 2003, 6:13 PM   #8

Lin Evans - Do you know if the Adobe plug-in work with Photoshop Elements, which is what I use? Do you like or dislike taking this extra download step or it doesn't matter? Also does it download both a RAW and JPEG file of same photo like the Canon and Olympus?

UniSonBBS - I'd like to know how you like the Sigma SD-9 and the lens you just bought. I've been looking at that set-up, as well as the Canon D10; also waiting to look at the Olympus E1 when it comes out in a few months.

THX for you help/advice. Best - john
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 6:58 PM   #9

Yeah Im pretty excited to check this out. It will still be a few weeks before I actually get the camera in my hands. Im selling mine E-10 on ebay right now to help cover expenses.

And like I said before, I am really impressed with the quality of this camera compaired to the Nikon's and Canon's out there at the price its for. Just cant be beat.

Also should I worry about finding this in the Gray Market? I see it listed for 900 or so new? Mostly I see it for around $1200?

Russell
Old Aug 2, 2003, 2:56 PM   #10

Well I think I just did something stupid. I think I purchased the wrong lens for this camera... :/

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...gory=3343&rd=1

Its a Nikon mount I believe. Crap. Please let me know. I honestly do not know much about mounts at all. But it seems to say on the review that it takes a SA mount.

Please

Russell