View Poll Results: what do you think suit me best
Fujifilm 3800 0 0%
olympus C740 0 0%
olympus C750 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 1, 2003, 1:52 AM   #1

Default Help me o decide , olympus C7X0 OR fujifilms 3800

Hi
I am new to this forum and also to the photography area.

I am going to buy a digicam (which will be my first one) and I need your help to decide which one to get.

after researching and spending allot of time in reading and comparing prices, I came to a decision that I want a camera with a big zoom capabilities and a good picture quality.

my conclusions were that the fujifilm 3800 (3 MP and X 6 zoom ) with the Olympus c740 , c750 answer all my needs .

as you probably know, there is some price difference between the three and my main questions is , whether it worth it.

the Fuji + decent memory card and a rechargeable batteries will be about 400 $
the C740 + memory card and a rechargeable batteries about 500 $
and the c750 + memory card (comes with rechargeable batteries) will be about 600 $

now, I know all the technical differences and abilities , but I want to know whether it is worth the 100\200 $ extra especially if I am a new to photography and digital photography.

does the Fuji have major faults ? it seems like a very good value for money, but how far is it from the Olympus ?

help me to decide or give me other suggestions .

Thanks allot , shlomi.
shlomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2003, 11:54 PM   #2

The trouble with the 3800 is that its iso rating is stuck at 100, so it isn't great for indoor/lowlight shots. You may want to check out the s5000 that will soon be replacing the 3800. I personally would go with the oly c750 because of the resolution, hot shoe and other features. If I were you, I'd go to a camera store and try out each camera before deciding which to buy.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 3:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
The trouble with the 3800 is that its iso rating is stuck at 100, so it isn't great for indoor/lowlight shots. You may want to check out the s5000 that will soon be replacing the 3800. I personally would go with the oly c750 because of the resolution, hot shoe and other features. If I were you, I'd go to a camera store and try out each camera before deciding which to buy.
While I agree with most of what you say, my experience with the Olympus is such that as a practical matter, it too is stuck at an ISO of 100. You get much to much noise at anything above 100 to make it usable for anything but snapshots. I have had that problem with both of my Olympus Digicams and I have read that it is typical in reviews of the CXX series in particular so that doesn't seem to be a characteristic of my particular unit.

Just something to think about!

<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 9:34 AM   #4

Quote:
While I agree with most of what you say, my experience with the Olympus is such that as a practical matter, it too is stuck at an ISO of 100. You get much to much noise at anything above 100 to make it usable for anything but snapshots. I have had that problem with both of my Olympus Digicams and I have read that it is typical in reviews of the CXX series in particular so that doesn't seem to be a characteristic of my particular unit.

<TED>
Exactly ... one reason why i went with the Fuji. Add to that the oly's are not stabalised and past the 6X of the fuji you're essentially paying for zoom ytou can't use.

In saying that, the Oly is probably the better camera but at nearly a 40% inccrease in the price .. hmmmmmmmm
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 10:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Quote:

<TED>
Exactly ... one reason why i went with the Fuji. Add to that the oly's are not stabalised and past the 6X of the fuji you're essentially paying for zoom ytou can't use.

In saying that, the Oly is probably the better camera but at nearly a 40% inccrease in the price .. hmmmmmmmm

Actually, I don't have a problem using the C700 at full telephoto nor to I have a problem using my Nikon D100 at even greater lenths (450 mm) hand held. Of course, it is hard to shoot at low shutter speeds at these lengths, but I have been successful as slow as 1/100th of a second to get special effects at full magnification...

<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedj101
Well, I've used ISO400 and 800 at a reunion where I couldn't use the flash, and while I wasn't that impressed with the ISO800 pics (I switched down to 400 after a few pics), I was happy with the ISO400 pictures...yes there was still some noise, but it was better than having blurred pictures, plus you can get rid of the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Add to that the oly's are not stabalised and past the 6X of the fuji you're essentially paying for zoom ytou can't use.
That comes from inexperience...I shoot at 10x zoom (380mm) quite often, you just have to remember the 1/focal length rule. I've even shot with the full digital zoom handheld, that's 27x or the equivalent of 1000mm (although I now have digital zoom turned off since I do it on the computer). Even if you'd have to use a tripod, it's nice to have the extra zoom...that's why I spent the bucks on a digital camera in the first place. Otherwise I'd still be using my manual SLR; I was going to buy a longer zoom lens for my SLR, and since I could get a digital with a long zoom for the same price I went for that instead.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote