Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2002, 11:48 AM   #1

Default Don't Shoot Me, But

(Steve: I know you can't post your reaction to this inquiry, but would you consider a private email?)

I have a Canon D-60, but I need a small carry-around camera, with at least 4MB and 3X optical. (I would really like 5MB and 4X optical.)

I've read all the reviews and zillions of posts, and I am very frustrated. These sources almost cause one to think there is no good camera short of an SLR. Surely that isn't true.

I shoot mostly scenery and want to be able to make 8x10's worthy of being framed and hung, though I rarely actually do that.

I thought, with the new Panasonic/Leica, and now the Nikon 4500 and 5700, that my problem was solved. But even these are being trashed in the postings. I had the C4040 and E-20, but I didn't like the feel of the 4040, and the E-20 was too big for my carry-around purposes. I sold both.

I know there is no perfect camera, but I want the best available - as close to the quality output of my D-60 as possible, but small.

Maybe I have to wait for new developments. Or maybe I have to go back to film for my carry-around. My scanner works great.

What do you think, guys (and girls)?
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2002, 12:47 PM   #2
NHL

Robert

Every camera is a compromise short of a dSLR (and you already have one!) consider yourself lucky...

In the <$1k price range each manufacturer target their respective markets, and compromise the design to meet certain design goals. Nobody can decide a camera for you, but yourself... Do you need ease of use or sophisticated controls? since you want a small camera just go for the smallest that you'll be please with knowing that you already have the D60 for all other occasion!

There's no wrong decision.

[Edited on 7-19-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 12:47 PM   #3

Why do you need 4 or 5 megapixels to print 8x10s? 2mp will print a terrific 8x10 and 3mp will give you some leeway in cropping. That might give you more flexibility in choosing a camera. No, it isn't the quality of the D60 but that's a reality of the marketplace. For the most part folks needing that many pixels are willing to put up with more bulk. Shoot some pics with your camera in middle resolution mode and see how they print. Looking at the D60's specs the small mode might be marginal for 8x10s and start to reveal jaggies.

That said I went the opposite path of you. I started with a nice 1.3mp camera and later got a 5mp cam. Suprisingly I still use the little camera a lot as it's more convenient to carry and adequate for snapshot and things destined for the web. If I had gotten the 2mp model I'd probably use it even more. Everything is a tradeoff though. If I see that once in a lifetime shot I'd certainly rather have a 5mp camera with me.

Shoot some pics with your camera in middle resolution mode and see how they print. Looking at the D60's specs the small mode might be marginal for 8x10s and start to reveal jaggies.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 2:54 PM   #4

Robert,
Many great digital cameras out there owned by people with high end 35mm cams that just stay in closet now. Do not let reviews scare you off, if you goto c/net and read printer reviews you would never part wiith your typewriter. For me after 3 megapixel more zoom is more important than going to 4+ megapixel. Seems like people with large optical zooms take alot more pictures, cameras are alot more fun with this. I shot with 10X optical 2100UZ, will not in the future buy with less than 6X unless there is a reason like underwater housing. I also have an Olympus 3040Z that has better picture quality (both take GREAT) but only use it 5% of time.
Thats my 2 cents,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 3:43 PM   #5

ROBERT,

I ALSO HAD THIS PROBLEM. I USE NIKON D1X CAMERAS, BUT NEEDED A GOOD QUALITY, COMPACT DIGITAL CAMERA FOR GENERAL USE...GRANDCHILDREN, FAMILY GATHERINGS ETC. MY WIFE ALSO WANTED TO BE ABLE TO USE IT. I ALSO WANTED TO MAKE 8X10 OR 11X14 PRINTS IF NEEDED.

AFTER MUCH CONSIDERATION I CHOSE THE OLYMPUS D-40 AND HAVE NOT BEEN DISAPPOINTED IN THE LEAST. IT IS EXTREMELY SMALL, EASY TO USE AND THE QUALITY IS EVEN BETTER THAN I EXPECTED.

JUST MY 2 CENTS.

STEVE SHALUTA
wvfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 9:42 PM   #6

Thank's, gang. I got some very helpful ideas between here and dpreview.
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 11:15 PM   #7

Default small camera

If you want small and 4 mega pixel with 3X optical look at the Pentax Optio 430. Very small indeed.

[Edited on 7-20-2002 by dc9mm]
dc9mm is offline   Reply With Quote