Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 1, 2003, 2:31 PM   #1

Default Where to post pics ?

Ive taken some great (atleast I think some are) pics with my Oly C-750, my question is where is a good place to post them.
Ideally I'd like a free host but am willing to pay if the service is worth it.I'm NOT looking to start my own site just a page I can link you guys to check out my pics.
I've been on Pbase to check it out and it seems like something I may sign up for even though it costs but they have apparently been having problems with pics dissapearing and whatnot.
I also do not want a site which will charge me for bandwidth as I could see this adding up.
A flat rate of maybe $50/year to have maybe 30 large pics up is what I'm interested in if possible.....of course free would be better
Thanks in advance
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2003, 4:32 PM   #2

Default Re: Where to post pics ?

I'd suggest checking out photobucket.com. It's free and I haven't had any issues with bandwidth. Plus, it explicitly allows hot linking/direct linking. There is a 150k file size limit, but it can automatically resize the pics so you don't have to.
Wrestling2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 4:52 PM   #3
djb

try fotopic.net. they allow 250MB of free space and they are linkable (i believe). file size is only limited to the space they give ya. if you go over the 250MB you can ask for more space. there's all sorts of stuff you can do with them.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 7:17 PM   #4

I was going to suggest pbase. I have not heard of problems with pictures disappearing. This is a new one to me. They are quite responsive to other problems (someone put up stolen pictures, and they were shut down very quickly) so I would bet they'll be on top of this too.

You get 100MB for $23. Considering that you probably don't want to post a picture over 100-200K, that is a lot of pictures for 23 bucks. I've never seen the site be slow, and they don't do nasty things like charge you for the different size pictures (small/med/orig) it's all based on the origional size.

They also have a lot of options for the galleries and how they are layed out. And I believe you can upload a zip file and they will uncompress it and make it into a gallery. Seems like a nice time saver to me.

If I didn't want a full fledged hosting site, this is where I'd go.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 7:53 PM   #5

The nice thing about Pbase (besides the fact they display Exif info) is they allow the viewer to choose the size of the photo they wish to view...with that you can post full size picture and someone who has dialup can view it at a smaller size.

Also they are very friendly in regards to linking to pictures...many sites require viewers to register in order to view direct linked pictures.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2003, 8:44 PM   #6

The following sites are free: Sony ImageStation, NikonNet,and Ofoto (Kodak). I use all three.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2003, 10:33 AM   #7

Default Thanks for the tips

Thanks all I just posted some pics at photobucket.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0803/slickshooter/

Please let me know what you think.....none of these pics have been touched up yet and the closeups are using the 10x zoom on my c-750 WITHOUT a tripod.....see it can be done fairly clearly without one!
Old Aug 10, 2003, 10:48 AM   #8

Well photobucket went down (for now) which is too bad cause it was great so I've tried something new.Here are my pics (46 in total) for all to see.....once again the pics are straight outta the camera and no tripod was used for any of the pics

http://waynebrunet.fotopic.net

Please leave a comment
Old Aug 11, 2003, 8:52 AM   #9

:P Photobucket is back, now on a standalone server.

It was knocked down by some irresponsible "users" who caused thousands of hits a second to some images, and the hosting company photobucket is using had to pull the plug for a while.

I received email notice from photobucket both about the problem when it occured and when service was restored. I think this is very good support from a free service.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 9:57 AM   #10

I agree photobucket is a great service even though they experienced some growing pains