Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2002, 2:22 PM   #1

Default Sports Digital Camera Recommendations

Any recommedations on a digital camera that takes good action photos of say, soccer,football,baseball ? My budget is around 600 to 800 dollars.

I have been looking at a Coolpix 995 or 4500 .
would appreciate photo examples to review.

thank for your help
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2002, 2:35 PM   #2

Fordman,
How close to the action are you going to be? Do these cams have enough optical zoom?
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2002, 3:59 PM   #3

Default Sport Camera

Its my Kids so I'll be on the side lines, ( help Coach too.) I interested in a camera that can capture clear shots fairly quick. Not sure if that helps

I'd listen to any suggestions on any brand.
Old Jul 20, 2002, 12:55 PM   #4
lg

Without a doubt, the fastest camera available is the Olympus E100RS, which will capture up to 15 frames/second. You should be able to pick one up in your price range. If you want to save a few bucks and don't need over 2 frames/second, I'd recommend the C-2100. You can probably get one for $400-500. Both cameras have a digitally stabilized 10x optical fast (2.8-3-5) zoom lens.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 12:09 AM   #5
lg

Default Olympus C-2100 Action Pics

Here's a link to a web page I created to demonstrate the capabilities of the C-2100. The pics are from a field day event and a local "swimming hole." All of the pics have been reduced, with the exception of the last, which should give you a good idea of what to expect "out of the camera."
Olympus C-2100 Action Pics I hope you find this helpful!
Old Jul 22, 2002, 8:45 AM   #6

Default thanks

Lg,

Thanks for sharing you pics and info. One question about either camera. Will they acept other lenses like an eagle eye 5x telephoto or a wideangle?

thanks again.

Also should I be concerned that they are a 1.5 to 2.0 megapixel camera.?

fordman
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:52 AM   #7
lg

Quote:
Originally posted by Fordman
Lg,

Thanks for sharing you pics and info. One question about either camera. Will they acept other lenses like an eagle eye 5x telephoto or a wideangle?
I don't have a telephoto converter (yet!), but I know you will need an adapter ring to accomodate either a telephoto or a wide angle lens. Check out the Add-On Lenses thread. I'm sure the knowledgeable folks there can provide you with the specifics you need.
Quote:
Also should I be concerned that they are a 1.5 to 2.0 megapixel camera.?

fordman
Are the pictures you saw on my website acceptable? If you're not going to print out anything larger than an 8x10, then you shouldn't be concerned.

Try downloading the 1600x1200 pic and printing out an 8x10 to see if it's sharp and clear enough for you. What's hard to visualize is that with a 10x optical zoom, you can frame the shot you want from the sidelines, whereas with a 3-6x zoom you would probably need to blow up a cropped portion of your pic to get the same effect. Since no enlargement is needed, the 1.5-2 megapixel cameras work actually work better, because no major photo manipulation will be required outside the camera.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 9:32 PM   #8

Default Burst Mode

were any of your pictures taken with the burst mode. I've looked for examples of this but haven't found any. Thanks so much for all of the info you have provided. I think you have saved me some money and frustration, buying a camera that wouldn't do what I want.
Old Jul 25, 2002, 2:04 PM   #9
lg

Yes. The photos labeled as "Drive mode" on the web page referenced earlier in the thread are what you are referring to as Burst mode-- all were taken at HQ (1600x1200) quality, and the shutter was depressed and held until all 7 pics were taken (3-4 seconds). Up to 5 pics can be stored in the buffer with no delay from shot to shot; in this case, there was a few seconds delay after the 5th shot while the pictures were being written to disk.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 9:37 AM   #10

Default Extra lenses for the C-2100 or E-100rs

You don't need adapter rings for the B-300(1.7 x) teleconverter or the A-200 (1.5X) lenses to use them on the C2100 or the E100rs. Those two lenses are 49 mm. And from what I hear they are rather expensive and hard to get, especially the B-300. I have the A-200 and it's good enough for me.

You might also want to invest in a haze filter (UV) for lens protection. This is highly recommended, and a set of close up filters would be nice to have in your camera bag, too.

Oh, and don't forget to get a circular polarizer too for glare and sky shots, etc. Try not to get too hung up on megapixels. I know this is a hard statement to believe what with all the new higher megapixel cameras coming out, but the E100 and C2100 both take great photos. If you like you can see quite a few of them on my site at pbase, but you should have NO trouble finding photos shot with these cameras: http://www.pbase.com/willa

You can also probably do a search for photos taken by the C2100 or the E100rs.

Both cameras are excellent, classic cameras and anyone who can get their hands on either camera should be really happy and excited, in my honest opinion.

Regards,

Willa
www.pbase.com/willa
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote