Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:04 PM   #11
Administrator

NHL, are you using the new url?

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:38 PM   #12
Administrator

NHL:

I haven't seen any issues from my PCs (trying from more than one) as long as I'm using the new URL.

I only have a single IP Address for multiple PCs though. So, I guess it's possible that it's something IP address related. You haven't been spamming us, have you (just teasing)? :-)

We do block IP addresses from time to time if we've received repeated spam from them so that they can't make posts here. You may want to send me a PM with an IP address you're having an issue with and we can check to make sure it's not blocked.

Try using the logout button on screen, and using the clear cookies button you'll see on the forums login screen before logging back in.

If that doesn't fix it, you may have to clear cookies using your browser's configuration screens for it. With Firefox, you can see cookies under Edit>Preferences>Privacy>Show Cookies if you only want to remove the cookies associated with the forums. I'm not in Windows right now. So, I can't look at where they are in IE. But, they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:46 PM   #13

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
Is anyone else having problems posting to the forum?
Yes, but I think they may havegone away just now. It's obvious it's the forum software and not users because the whole set of forums have been littered for 2 days with double or even triple posts of the same message, which moderators have been going around deleting, I notice. This is because people's browsers hung when posting, and so they tried again, without realising that their post had already succeeded the first time. It's not to do with the new address, because I changed to that immediately when I returned a few days ago after a long absence.

It happened to me once, and I amended my own message to delete its contents and apologise for the double post. Thereafter when posting I waited for the progress 'thermometer' in IE7 (on XP SP2) to get about half way and stop, then closed it and re-entered the forums to see that I'd always succeeded in posting, without getting any feedback from the forum software.

My last few posts today (now 19:36 BST, 18:36 GMT) have succeeded first time. However I think the problem has gone away and come back again on at least one occasion.

The fact that both Mac and PC users have the problem indicate that it's not at the users' end.

When typing into dialog boxes in web pages, I am in the habit of taking an occasional copy of my current message on to the clipboard (highlight then <Ctrl><Insert>, so that I when I mess up I don't have to retype the whole message. This is assisted by 'Clipmate'(TM) the excellent Windows Clipboard Manager, which keeps a collection of the last umpteen clipboard items.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:52 PM   #14

Just got the hang again when posting an edited typo to the previous message, when I tried to 'preview'. It posted anyway.

Alan T
But then it was OK again.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:54 PM   #15
Administrator

Alan T wrote:
Quote:
Yes, but I think they may havegone away just now. It's obvious it's the forum software and not users because the whole set of forums have been littered for 2 days with double or even triple posts of the same message, which moderators have been going around deleting, I notice. This is because people's browsers hung when posting, and so they tried again, without realising that their post had already succeeded the first time. It's not to do with the new address, because I changed to that immediately when I returned a few days ago after a long absence.
We know about the issue, and we're looking into it. Yes, we have been deleting a few duplicate posts here and there (an understatement). lol Too many posts, not enugh time, so there are many we've probably missed. :-)

We are well aware of this issue and will do what we can to corrrect it as soon as possible.

Anytime you move to new servers, it can take a bit of time to sort things out. In the last 24 hours, we've upgraded RAM, changed a lot of config options and more, and we're probably going to a new multi-server configuration later this evening for better load balancing.

Bear with us a bit... we're working on it. The "bumps" shouldn't last for too much longer before it's smooth sailing.

Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:18 PM   #16
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
NHL, are you using the new url?

Yes I use the new one - The old URL won't work anymore and will direct you to the new URL instead

Right now my home PC can't log on to Steve's, and so is my neighbor's PC... The only one that works for me is my laptop through a private VPN, and then I will have the same problem as the original poster in that it just hangs there after I click <SEND> even though the message is posted correctly!

Quote:
Try using the logout button on screen, and using the clear cookies button you'll see on the forums login screen before logging back in.
-> That's funny - how do you logout when it's still prompt you to log in???
I've already tried the clear cookies button - It does not help...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:52 PM   #17
Administrator

I feel for you. I'm watching a Firefox browser tab that's still showing "loading" for a post I made almost 2 minutes ago. :-)

We're looking into it. Thanks for the feedback. We should get it sorted out real soon (hopefully, before another day passes, and we've already got some plans for better load balancing).

Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:33 PM   #18

Search seems to be messing up as well. If I try and search for something it just constantly loads.
yensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:02 PM   #19
Administrator

yensed wrote:
Quote:
Search seems to be messing up as well. If I try and search for something it just constantly loads.
Thanks for the feedback. We see that, too.

Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:21 PM   #20

i'll tell you what p*$$ed me off is that with one of the crashes, i lost my join date of sometime in '04 and 5400 posts... guess i'll get use to being a nuwb!!!!!

roy

i just wonder how long this will take to actually post??????????????????????
robar is offline   Reply With Quote