Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 3, 2003, 6:07 PM   #1

Default Which one should I choose?

Hello,
I'm going to buy digital camera and I can't make up my mind. I'm thinking about Olympus Ultra Zoom 2100 and Minolta Dimage S414. Both are the same price (olympus is second hand, Minolta is new). Which should I take?
Yoghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2003, 12:15 AM   #2

It really depends on what you want. The olympus camera is an excellent choice because of its long stabilized zoom lense. On the other hand, since it is only 2mp the most you'll be able to print is 8x10 (and depending on who you ask this might be seen as a bit of a stretch) with no cropping whatsoever whereas with the minolta's 4mp you could easily make an 8x10 with plenty of room to crop. Also, some people may find the large size of the oly cumbersome compared to the minolta. In the end it's a tradeoff, get the oly if you want the long stabilized zoom or get the minolta if you'd rather have the extra mp and pocketability.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2003, 1:42 PM   #3

You should also go to a store and try them both out. Make sure they feel good in your hands. Check out the button placement. Are either too big? I was quite surprised when I finally got to hold a Canon 10D. It was larger than I imagined.

Just because something looks good on paper, it might not work for you physically. This way, you can try it and see.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2003, 6:25 PM   #4

Default hmm

I'm from poland (europe) and unfortunatrly I won't be able to try minolta because my friend spending holidays in US can buy this camera for me (in US). I tried olympus and it suits me fine but minolta is more modern camera (I think). The problem is it will be my first own camera and I realy don't know what i exactly need. I still can't make my decision
Yoghurt is offline   Reply With Quote