Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:25 PM   #1

Default Bought My First Digital Camera

I ordered my first digital camera, the Canon S50!

I looked at a lot of cameras, but pretty much narrowed it down to three.

I chose the S50 over the Nikon Coolpix 4500 because it seemed like a better all around camera. Simpler to use menus than the Nikon, and I did not like the Nikon's low light ability. I wasn't too sure about the swivel design of the Nikon. In return I gave up the Nikon's excellent Macro ability.

I chose the S50 over the Canon G3 because the S50 is smaller and easier to carry around all day. It has a lot of the same features as the G3, but a little easier to operate. I also did not like the swivel LCD on the G3, I could picture myself knocking that sucker off by accident one day, *lol*. In return I gave up more manual features that the G3 has.

In Steve's review, he said of the S50 "If you've ever wished that you could carry a G3 in your pocket -- you can now" and I am taking his word on it .

The size of the S50 is a huge plus for me. I need something I can carry for a long time. It is great for point and shoot, and has manual controls too. There is an adapter to attach filters, and a couple available lenses if I ever need them. I like the available features. I like that extra megapixel too.

I figure it's a great camera to grow with. I'll learn how to use the camera, get used to the LCD and features, learn to download the pics to my computer, handle the pics in software, etc...and then if in a year or so I really love using digital cameras, then I can always upgrade if I want to. So, that's why I bought the Canon S50. I hope it's good! I hope I can master it! *lol*
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2003, 6:33 AM   #2

Hooray - another S50 owner!

When will you get it??

I don't think you'll be disappointed with it - I bought it for pretty much the same reasons as you and I love it .

Did you get a look at the Cokin filter holder??

Looking forward to seeing your pics...

Matt
mattUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 2:03 PM   #3

Thanks Matt, the camera came today. Have the software downloaded, the batteries charged, and I am reading all about it now.

I did not get the adapter or any extra filters or lenses. I don't know if I'll need them yet.

Old Aug 5, 2003, 3:36 PM   #4

gardengirl

Congradulations on the purchase of your digital camera. Start shooting. Read through the manual enough to learn the controls. Then read in more depth when you want to try something new.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 9:25 PM   #5

Thanks, gibsonpd3620. After reading a bit through the manual, the camera does not seem that difficult.
I think it's just a matter of memorizing all the controls, all the settings, what they mean, and how to coordinate them together. I think a cheat sheet is going to be in my future, *lol*. I think I'll have to make a quick one page quide for what everything means, and then have it laminated, *lol*.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 8:38 AM   #6

Not a bad idea, really nice if you can reduce it to 3X5 and would fit in your pocket.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2003, 6:03 PM   #7

Great idea, that sounds like a great carrying size.