Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 4, 2003, 10:56 PM   #1

Default My reds are orange

I own a Fuji 3800 and i have not had any problems with colour before (except washed out skies on bright days but a polariser solved that issue).

Now, as you MAY be able to tell from my name, I am an Alfa Romeo freak. I just went to the annual concorso (show) and my pictures of the cars that are red ... and being alfa's half of them are .... turned out more Orange than red.

Now, to confuse things .. if i stood back and took a photo of three or four cars in the same pic that are different colours ... the red's are fine.

It was a BRIGHT day with a very shiny sun. I used either full AUTO or I set the white balance to sunny day and dropped the exposure one stop. Didn't make any difference.

This might help you, but to fix the problem in Adobe ... all i had to do was minus 5 points of "HUE" to get the red rather than orange.

What is this and why does it happen?
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2003, 5:36 AM   #2

That's an interesting question. Clutching at straws but, if you preset a white balance, then colour might be wrong, but I wouldn't expect it to be wrong in 2 shots of the same thing - unless the light changed between shots. Were you using a polariser on the camera at the time? You know that the colour we see is a reflection of the pigment illuminated by the light source, so depolarising may be a factor. Since most Alfa owners drive around wearing shades, I'm sure they wouldn't want the car colour to look sick. But did you know this used to be an issue for cars parked under Sodium street lighting?

If you had flash enabled, most Fujis will default to a preset daylight balance, irrespective of what you do in the white bal menus.

Moving to AUTO WB leaves a lot of things to consider. It might well get it wrong on 2 separate shots also paint pigments can be quite complicated in colour terms. If you had auto WB'd on a white card in both cases, I'd have expected more WB similarity between shots. Most showroom cars are highly polished with waxes, and can be difficult to photograph because of the reflections and polarisation that occur.

If you don't get further here, try your post on Dpreview as the replies needed might be quite technical. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 7:42 AM   #3

Take a short search here on the message board for the word 'orange'. You'll find more than your fair share of Fuji camera owners noticing this same thing.

Personally, I've seen a side by side comparison of a bunch of 3MP digicams and ALL the Fuji shots were orange where the other cams showed red.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 8:32 AM   #4

My thought had to do with white balance and maybe a confused light meter. voxmagna covered that fairly well, though.

I've taken nice sunset pictures which turned out more brown than orange/red (with my Canon 10D.) Not that hard to fix in Photoshop, but annoying! I liked the real sunset colors!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 12:03 PM   #5

My old Fuji 2600 was like that - reds more like crimson. I used to alter the pics in PSP7
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 1:53 PM   #6

O.K I can understand a consistent 'Fuji look', but not that 2 pics shot at the same time, of the same object, under same light in the scene can be different.

Presumably a consistent look can be changed by batch processing, but this post seems to suggest some random colorimetry behaviour.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 9:16 PM   #7

I don't think it is the WB because on "AUTO" on selecting "SUNNY" WB it still did the same thing.

I think it is something (excuse my lack of tech knowledge) to do woth the colour recognition. The reds are FINE when I took shots of say 5 cars ... if there were say one red car and 4 other cars of different colours ..... the reds were also fine on big broad shots of the whole show ... but if i filled the frame with a red car, it had an orange Hue.

Any clues for you technical guys considering to resolve the problem, all i needed to do was -5 "Hue" on Adobe?
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote