Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:33 AM   #1

Can wind-blown sand cause damage to a digital camera? Recently the lens cover of my Canon A610 decided to stop working while I was on a beach on a windy day. The loss of the lens cover isn't the end of the world but I'm worried about the possibility of more serious issues with fine sand.
Gummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:47 AM   #2

sand gets everywhere, i wouldnt take my dslr on a sandy windy beach, seen and read too many stories of sand damage

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:06 AM   #3

Gummo wrote:
Quote:
Can wind-blown sand cause damage to a digital camera? Recently the lens cover of my Canon A610 decided to stop working while I was on a beach on a windy day. The loss of the lens cover isn't the end of the world but I'm worried about the possibility of more serious issues with fine sand.
It seems to me that a likely cause of your lens cover not working might be the wind-blown sand, so I think the answer is "Yes."

Ever heard of a "Sand Blaster"? Wind-blown sand at a beach does the same thing, albeit not as quickly or efficiently.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:39 PM   #4

Absolutely, windblown sand damages digital cameras if they were not designedwith that environment in mind. It can jam zoom, focusing and extension mechanisms. It can get in between the lens elements creating an instant soft focus lens. It can jam controls such as shutter releases and menu buttons.

The only P&S cameras are really designed for that environment are the Pentax Optio W series and the entire Olympus Stylus series. I can attest to the suitability of the Styluses in that type of environment. Pentax has paid attention to the problem in their DSLR designs but obviously the interchangeable lens put a DSLR at a bit of a disadvantage.

Everything else requires that the user take precautions. I'd suggest a large enough zip lock bag and only remove the camera from the bag when taking pictures.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:46 PM   #5

Many thanks for your time and advice.
Gummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:10 AM   #6

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
sand gets everywhere, i wouldnt take my dslr on a sandy windy beach, seen and read too many stories of sand damage

Gary
I would (environmentally sealed) Pentax K10D..... but I sure wouldn't change lenses if any wind blowing
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:49 AM   #7

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
I would (environmentally sealed) Pentax K10D..... but I sure wouldn't change lenses if any wind blowing
Better make sure the lens you're using is also sealed otherwise it's like putting a rain cover only on the camera body and leaving the lens exposed to rain
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 4:18 AM   #8

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Better make sure the lens you're using is also sealed otherwise it's like putting a rain cover only on the camera body and leaving the lens exposed to rain
The times I have had it in rain it stays lens down when not shooting, camera back can take it and shields the lens.... when up shooting my hand covers the joints on many lenses, and if zoom, are wiped before zoomed out (retracted), if wet.

Its not something I intentionally seek to do, but have had the 10D in pretty significant rain a couple of times now, sort of unavoidable in the sub tropics with summer pop up showers.... then again in those likely conditions not going to have a $1000 lens on it either.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote