Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:36 PM   #1

Hi,

Been thinking about selling some of my pics as a lot of people tell me how great some of them are. I only take a few pics and am thinking of expanding my photography portfolio so I can sell some.

Trouble is....my camer is a pansonic lumix dmc-fz5. It has 5 mega pixels and instead of raw photo modes it has tiff files instead. Would this be enough for stock photography sites?

I'm really lost with all this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
smaulpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:58 PM   #2

if you use search facilaty on the forum you will see this subject as been discussed many times.

basicly dont expect to get rich quick, remember there are 100s of thousands of people who submit to stock so choice is huge

show some of your pics in the photo section of the forum

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:08 AM   #3

Generally I wouldn't recommend getting into stock photography. People that buy from these sites are usually looking for images for a specific, business related purpose, not necessarily because they look good. And with the stringent and sometimes logic-defying standards that these stock sites abide by, don't be surprised if after spending several hours of prepping and cleaning up your images and uploading them to the site servers, 75% get rejected and the rest only yield a few bucks over the course of a year.

I'm not saying they'll reject your images because they're bad. They're just going to reject a bunch of them because that's what they do. I've had 2 pieces of line art rejected for being "out of focus". I wouldn't be surprised to have them reject a B&W photo for poor white balance.

And most won't pay you anything until you've accumulated a very high number of downloads. Shutterstock is probably the easiest site to sell images on, but you only get 25 cents each and you don't get paid until you accumulate at least $75. I've submitted about 125 images, had 31 accepted, and my best seller by far is the one drawing of a stick man i gave them that they didn't consider "out of focus". You'd likely make a lot more money by printing your favorite photos, putting them in frames from the dollar store and selling them in your front yard.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:29 AM   #4

You may be OK on the crowdsourcing sites like IstockPhoto or Shutterstock with your equipment. You would need to read their submission requirements.

You can learn a lot from one of IstockPhotos stars (one of the very few people who are actually managing to be making their living from microstock)

Lisa Gagné her personal site is here http://www.lisegagne.com/
Her IstockPhoto portfilio is here http://www.istockphoto.com/file_sear...ableLoupe=true

Note that she does this full time, has a fully equipped studio with studio lighting and location lighting, uses top end equipment like the Canon EOS 1ds 16mp camera and all L lenses.
She also hires models, makeup artists and knows how to direct them to get what she is after.
Her istockphoto portfolio now contains over 5000 high quality images in the 4 years she has been a member and has 517078 image downloads.

If you look at her images you will see they are targeted for business advertising sales, not the nice landscape/wildlife/fineart images most people want to make.
Also all images are model/preoperty released if they contain images of people or recognizable private property.

I'd say submit away and hope for the best, but the majority of the microstock suppliers do not see much if anything in return for their efforts. Unless you are prepaired to go and work at it as a full time business.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:55 PM   #5

Thanks a lot for the replies. Definately a lot to think about there and I love Lisa's work - business images seem to be where the money is at.

I did look at the sites and think that it was like looking for a needle in a haystack and it scared me tbh!

Might havea little crack at it and see if I get any feedback at least

thanks again
smaulpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 10:55 AM   #6

It can't hurt to try, (mostly), and can be a lot of fun.
:G

Read the agreement carefully, the one from canstock (a Canadian microstock agency)
includes a nasty paragraph that you agree to imdenify and hold them harmless for any legal action that may result from the sale of your images.
They take the big cut of the profits, you do the work and take the heat if any :-)

Don't want to sacre you just something to look for and think about before you sign on. Especially if you include people in any images make sure they are model released.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote