Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 24, 2007, 7:51 PM   #1

Is there somewhere that I can see the difference between zoom levels?

I'm looking for a new camera. My current camera only has 2x zoom and I want something more than that. I'm debating betweentthe Canon A570 and A710 right now.I'm not sure whether 4x is good enough or if I should shoot for 6x.
randomfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2007, 8:30 PM   #2

Unfortunately, theoptical zoom power doesn't really tell you much. The number is justthe ratio of the shortest focal length to the longest. A 70-210mm lens, for instance, is a 3x zoom, but so is a 35-105mm lens, but they will each give you quite a different range of views.

The lens in the A570IS has a focal length of 5.8-23.2mm, and because of the smaller image sensor in the camera, that works out to be the same angle of view as a 35-140mm lens on a 35mm film camera. That's a moderate wide-angle (63 degree view) to a moderate telephoto (18 degree view).

The lens in the A710IS has a focal length of 5.8-34.8mm, which works out to be the equivalent of a 35-210mm lens on a 35mm film camera. That's the same moderate wide-angle (63 degree view) but a longer telephoto (12 degree view).

If you'll be using your new camera to take more outdoor and distance photos, the A710IS is better suited to that. But if most of your photos will be indoors and large groups of people, then both are equallypoorly suited to that.

Edit: Updated with angle of view info from the link posted by JimC.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 8:33 PM   #3
Administrator

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/EF...al_length.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 8:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize the difference. I'm looking to take amix of both indoor and outdoor photos.This is going to be an all purpose camera I can take along with me when I start my new job that involves travelling around the country. My current camera only has a 2x zoom which limited a lot the pictures I took. Is there an alternative camera that perhaps is better for indoor/outdoor and small enough for my pocket?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:47 PM   #5

randomfool wrote:
Quote:
Is there an alternative camera that perhaps is better for indoor/outdoor and small enough for my pocket?
After perusing Steve's-Digicams : TheBest Cameras : Ultra Compact Pocketable, I see that they're all about the same.

But the two you were considering (Canon A570 and A710) don't fit in that category, so I expanded my search to include the 6-10 Megapixel Point & Shoots. Guess what I found. Nothing.

So I checked the 5 Megapixel Point & Shoots. Same thing.

Maybe there's something with a wider angle of view, that's pocketable, that didn't make Steve's "Best Cameras" list, but maybe the "pocketable" thing could be revisited.

I looked through the 10-12X Optical "Super" Zoom category, and found just one digicam that goes wider than the 35mm equivalent of 35-38mm. That digicam is the Fuji FinePix S6000fd. It goes as wide as a 28mm lens on a 35mm film camera. That's a 75 degree angle of view as opposed to the 63 degree (or less) angle of view provided by the others on the list. So, I think the FinePix S6000fd is better suited to your purposes than the other cameras on Steve's "Best Cameras" list, if all we consider is the wide angle capability of the lens.

But only you can decide ifyou want to call it"pocketable".

Or you could stick with one of your original choices, and when the occasion arises, try backing up.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:17 PM   #6

BTW, what's your current camera?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:24 PM   #7

I was looking at the Canon SD800 or the Panasonic TZ3 originally but wanted to get away from proprietary batteries. The A710 and A570 are smallish enough where I can carry them around easily.

I will say that Fuji is a wicked sweet camera but too large for me to comfortably carry around.

I'm going to keep hunting and see if I can findsomething that matches what I'm looking for a bit more. I know I'll have to compromise at some point. If it comes down to it I'd rather be portable and have to make due. Perhaps I'll just go with one of the Canons and make the best of it.

My current camera is a Canon SD-110. I've had it since it came out and it's been an awesome camera but the zoom was lacking and I had issues taking good looking shot quickly.

Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:36 PM   #8

randomfool wrote:
Quote:
My current camera is a Canon SD-110. I've had it since it came out and it's been an awesome camera but the zoom was lacking ...
The SD110 has a 5.4-10.8mm lens, which is 35-70 on a 35mm film camera. If you couldn't get wide enough with it, you'll have the same problem with most others.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:52 PM   #9

I checked your other choices. I couldn't find anything on the SD850, but the Canon PowerShot SD800 andthe Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3have lenses thatgo wide to the 35mm equivalent of 28mm (75 degree angle of view).
Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:22 PM   #10

If you're willing to go up in size a little to jacket pockets, rather than shirt or vest breast pockets, the smallest of the superzoom class can cover a huge range. An example, which I now have, is the Kodak Z712is, which I love.

There's a discussion aboutthis cameragoing on in the 'Kodak' forum right here, and a kind user has posted links to a huge range of sample shots. These will show you the effects of dififerent degrees of zoom.

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote