Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2007, 6:04 AM   #1

I have been given an oylmpus om10 film camera with a Soligor c/d 80-200mm lens with looks in very good condition plus a cpc 2x tele- mc-4 o/om converter along with the olympus 50mmzuiko auto-slens,can i do anything with it today. I have a KM 5d now but wonder if i can do anything with the lens. I'm well up for a diy conversion if someone knows what to do. (i also have a canon film eos 500 with a sigma dl 36-80mm lens) I see that some say the old lens are worth keeping because of build quality. All suggestions welcome. thanks
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2007, 6:46 AM   #2

Soligor never was a prime brand, even in it's heyday. If it has an interchangeable mount, then you might be able to use it on you 5D, but otherwise I am not sure it is worth the effort.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:31 AM   #3

thanks for the reply, it did not cost me anything, looks like its going to the charity shop
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:06 AM   #4

Actually, in the 60's and 70's, the hot third party lens manufacturers were Vivitar and Soligor. And from what I could find, the Soligor 80-200 f/4.5 is a pretty good lens.

But as to adapting it to work with your KM 5D, I am not hopeful.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:17 AM   #5

thanks for your input TCav

well i might be getting a new dslr soon so that will bring a whole new set of challenges as i'm not happy with the KM 5d, i'm not up on adaptors or mounts I read about T2 fitting but not really sure what its all about, are they universal or camera specific, do they have a bayonet for each camera make then give you a common t2 fitting . But i guess thats a whole new topic...
Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:07 AM   #6

bill43210 wrote:
Quote:
i'm not up on adaptors or mounts I read about T2 fitting but not really sure what its all about, are they universal or camera specific, do they have a bayonet for each camera make then give you a common t2 fitting .
The T2 adapteris a ring that adaptsa suitable lens to a particular camera.

Go to http://www.Soligor.com, click on Welcome, place the mouse pointer over "Lens Accessories", when the popup menu appears, put the mouse pointer over "Adapter Rings" and when the popup menu appears, click on "T2 Adapters". If the the 80-200 you have is a T2 lens, then you just need a T2 adapter for whichever camera you choose.

Another option, since you're in the market anyway, is to take a look at the Olympus dSLRs. That way, both lenses and the TC will work with it. The Olympus dSLRs are fine cameras, they're smaller and lighter than the others, and they have a 2.0 crop factor instead of the ~1.5 that most other dSLRs have. That will make your 80-200mm the equivalent of a 160-400mm andthe 50mm the equivalent of a 100mm, instead of 120-300 and 75 for other dSLRs. Depending on what you want to do, this may give you a head start.

But while the Soligor is a pretty good lens, there are plenty of great lenses in the same range that don't cost very much, so I don't think this should be a big reason to go one direction or the other.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 5:22 PM   #7

I worked in the Photographic industry back in the 70's and 80's, and Soligar was never a first tier lens manufacturer. Yeah, they were okay - for a BUDGET lens. But it was Vivitar with their Series I lenses that made people sit up and take notice.

To be fair, most zoom lenses back them were only fair. Really good zoom lenses were very expensive (the Nikon 80-200, for instance).

Today, the state of the art has improved considerably and you can get some pretty decent zoom lenses at some fairly reasonable prices.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 5:29 PM   #8

See http://www.photodo.com/product_910_p4.html

On Photodo.com, an MTF Grade of 2.9 is pretty good. Not great, but pretty good.

And if it saves you a couple hundred quid, even better.

Old Jun 29, 2007, 3:53 AM   #9

thanks very much for your input, i have something to chew on and some sites to visit and read, pointers are always gratefully received

thanks again
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:01 AM   #10

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
I worked in the Photographic industry back in the 70's and 80's, and Soligar was never a first tier lens manufacturer. Yeah, they were okay - for a BUDGET lens. But it was Vivitar with their Series I lenses that made people sit up and take notice.

To be fair, most zoom lenses back them were only fair. Really good zoom lenses were very expensive (the Nikon 80-200, for instance).

Today, the state of the art has improved considerably and you can get some pretty decent zoom lenses at some fairly reasonable prices.
I have to agree with TCAV on this one. In at least the US market they were considered equals. With the advent of the Series 1 Vivitar had an advertising edge but Soligars didn't get worse because of it.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote