Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 7, 2003, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Best Features/Price amateur Lens combination

I'm sorry if it has been covered(if it has, can you offer me pointers to the thread/site) but I'm looking for a decent setup with a camera (>3Mp) that has standard threads for lenses. I'm looking for just a little more then point and shoot, more like amateur/enthusiast.
What do you all think? What are my choices?
daich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2003, 12:10 PM   #2

When you say "standard thread for lenses" do you mean a lens mount (i.e. a SLR) or a way to attach things like a fish eye lens, or a variety of tele photo lenses?

As far as I know, there is no "standard" for the size of a threaded adapter for add-on lenses. Most cameras makers also make add-on lenses for the cameras they sell. They are usually more expensive than the after-market lenses, but in some cases they are also better. I would look at the after market lenses you are thinking about and see what cameras they fit, and what thread size they mate up to (52mm is not uncommon, but it isn't a "standard".)

I assume you don't mean an SLR like camera with replaceable lenses, 'cause that isn't cheap.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 3:41 PM   #3

Do you mean standard lenses, or converters (what you screw onto a camera's built-in lens). Many of the larger digital cameras can take converters (but not usually the pocket digitals). Some digitals may require a filter tube adapter in order to screw on the converter. There's no single size...sizes are the diameter in mm.

Converters can be tele, wide-angle, closeup, etc.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 12:11 AM   #4

I'm not talking about SLR for sure...thats big $. Yes I'm thinking along the lines of simple telephoto/fisheye/wideangle lenses. Aren't there a lot of Video camera lenses compatible or easily convertible with digital camera's? Or am I just absolutely wrong? Maybe I'm just looking for a list of cameras along with their lens threads (if they have any). But along with the threads, which handle having lenses in front of them better ... or whatever. There are just soo many cameras out there I just don't know how to start. If you have any such kind of setup, I'd would just be interested in what are your components, where you obtained them, prices and some subjective views on the whole deal. I am aware of adapters and such fabricated to mount on the mounting hole and positions lens threads in front of the lens, but that not the solution I'm looking for...its too fragile, complicated and bulky.

thanks
daich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 12:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daich
I am aware of adapters and such fabricated to mount on the mounting hole and positions lens threads in front of the lens, but that not the solution I'm looking for...its too fragile, complicated and bulky.
I don't know if you're thinking of the same thing I was talking about. The type of adapter I'm talking about screws into the body encasing the lens barrel, and yes it does extend slightly beyond the lens but it's anything but fragile...it's a lot better than screwing on directly to a retracting lens. Here's an example of what I'm talking about using the Olympus C-7x0 camera:

http://www.pbase.com/image/6328787

I keep one of these on my camera at all times with a Skylight (UV) filter to protect the lens assembly from dust, scratches, and being bumped.

Fragile, no...it's screwed directly into the body so it's quite strong.

Complicated, no...just unscrew the filter and screw on the lens you want to use, or screw on the tube with the lens already attached to it.

Bulky...well, it's like having the lens extended at all times, but less bulky than my SLR was. Plus it gives me a place to grip with my left hand...you shouldn't hold on to retracting lenses.

As for lens converters used for video camera, they're usually smaller (37mm) which would be fine if you had a pocket camera that could accept that thread size...but many larger digicams use 46mm, 52mm, 55mm, etc.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 12:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Yes I'm thinking along the lines of simple telephoto/fisheye/wideangle lenses. ..... If you have any such kind of setup, I'd would just be interested in what are your components, where you obtained them, prices and some subjective views on the whole deal.
Most companies went for the adapter approach to cut lens design and manufacturing cost. As a result, not many current cameras have threaded lenses. Those well-known ones will include, but are not limited to, Sony 717, Minolta D7* and Nikon Coolpix 4500. Of these three, the Nikon Coolpix 4500 has the most complete, reasonably priced lens accessories (e.g., fisheye, 0.63X for24mm wide angle, 2X for 300mm and 3X for 450mm) and a 35mm slide/negative copier. Moreover, you can easily find third-party not-so-high-quality wide and tele lenses. Moreover, there are 6X and 8X monoscopes that fit 950/990/995/4500 nicely. This is because the 4500 is the last model of a long running series since 900 was released a couple of years ago. See the "Converter Lenses" and "Odd Stuffs" sections of my 4500 user guide for the details. Other well-known and well-received cameras (e.g., Canon G5 and Fuji S602), some Nikon models included (e.g., Coolpix 5000, 5400 and 5700), do not have this extensive support and require the use of adapters.

Quote:
I am aware of adapters and such fabricated to mount on the mounting hole and positions lens threads in front of the lens, but that not the solution I'm looking for...its too fragile, complicated and bulky.
Agree. You may drop the lens accidentally and the process of changing accessories is slow.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 1:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shene
Agree. You may drop the lens accidentally and the process of changing accessories is slow.
Can you tell me what's the difference between screwing a converter onto the lens, and screwing the converter onto a filter adapter that's already attached to the camera?

I don't see a difference between the two (having done both methods)...the process of adding a converter is no faster or slower with either method.