Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:16 PM   #1

short and simple question - I tried to search, but it looks like that function is not working now.

expanded service policy on your DSLR - yes or no?

I bought it when I bought my camera a year ago, now it's time to "re-up" for another year. What do (did) you choose when you bought your camera?

My policy is through National Electronics Warranty Corporation (the one Ritz goes through). Any experience with this company?

~aloha~
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2007, 2:22 PM   #2

An exended warrranty on your KM 5D?

Just my opinion.

First, extended warranties are usually a waste of money. The warranty company is betting that the device will last, you're betting it won't, they hold the money, and they decide who wins.

Just my opinion.

Second, if nothing goes wrong with the electronic parts of your camera in the first 90 days, most likely, nothing will go wrong with them for several years. And companies have been making the mechanical components of your dSLR (focal plane shutter, mirror, etc.) for decades, and for people that demand reliability. So digital cameras are probably some of the more reliable things in your house (except, maybe, the doorknobs.)

Just my opinion.

Third, KM and Sony have extended the warranty on the 5D for a number of known problems (see the Konica Minolta / Sony Alpha dSLRforum), and chances are good that will handle any problems you haven't experienced yet. The bad side of that is that once they've run out of parts to service those cameras that are experiencing those known faults, nobody, not even your warranty company, will be able to fix your camera. So the extended warranty probably won't do you any good.

Just my opinion.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 5:15 PM   #3

Basically, what TCav said.

Extended service warranties are a major profit center for those that sell them. Rarely will you get your monies worth out of them.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:04 PM   #4

Make it three. For this type of product it is a waste of your money.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:12 PM   #5

I agree also.

Put your money back in your pocket.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:29 PM   #6

okay. cool. thanks for the replies. i didn't really want to purchase another year of the plan, i guess i was looking for some validation from the forum natives.

~aloha~
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:39 PM   #7

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
short and simple question - I tried to search, but it looks like that function is not working now.

I bought it when I bought my camera a year ago, now it's time to "re-up" for another year. What do (did) you choose when you bought your camera?

My policy is through National Electronics Warranty Corporation (the one Ritz goes through). Any experience with this company?

~aloha~
Extended service policies are a waste of money. A good insurance policy on your gear however can be worth it's weight in gold. Or Camera gear to be exact.
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:43 AM   #8

Gonna go against the grain here. They are a waste of money, certainly. But, just like any type of insurance, you don't need it til you need it. I nearly puke every time I see my auto insurance debited out of my bank account. Ever checked to see what percentage of your income goes out in the form of health insurance, even if the employer picks up the majority of the policy?

I've bought several of those extended warranties and started to theorize that I could have bought one more piece of dream electronics for all those warranties that expired unused.

Now, suddenly I'm having funny things happen with a $1500 DSLR that's just short of it's one year anniversary. It will be sent off this week for a manufacturer's warranty, but, it will be sent at no cost to me from the store where I purchased it. Shipping and insurance would cost more than $20, so, not quite offsetting the $149 I spent but... If the camera has two more issues over the next three years, the big box retailer gives me a credit, full price paid, towards a new camera.

Hate to say it, and I'm not generally one to abuse/take advantage of systems, but, I sort of hope this camera has a couple of more issues, oh, at about two and two and a half years from now. Don't have to touch on how much more advanced cameras in the same price point will be a few years down the road...

If that warranty is applied, covering this ONE PURCHASE will more than pay for every other "extended warranty" I've ever paid for. Just my two cents but as my camera began acting up right at the end of year one, I'm feeling a little better about adding that 10% to my purchase. Oh, final point, as a loyal customer, I did use a 12% off coupon and other rewards in the purchase, so, agree or not, I felt the warranty was free. Mixed up logic, perhaps, but we'll see as the camera is already going off for it's first repair.

leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:05 AM   #9

leeraff,

Certainly, there is the off chance that an extended warranty will pay off.

But the OP is asking about an extended warranty for a Konica-Minolta 5D, and as I said in my initial response, KM and Sony have already extended the warranty for the 7D and 5D, andwhen the parts run out, nobody, not even the carrier of the extended warranty policy, will be able to get it fixed.

And if you add up all the money you paidfor insurance over the years and have nothing to show for it, don't you think it would have covered the cost of repairing or replacing your failed dSLR?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:03 PM   #10

Sorry there, Sparky. Somehow you were able to deduce the camera make from the following text which I was not...

=====================

~aloha~

=======================

I was simply answering to
1), the title, "Expanded Service Police worth it, or not?
2) expanded service on your DSLR - yes or no?
3) bought my camera a year ago

Can't figure out where I was supposed to understand the specifics you picked up on such as camera make and model.

I even started by saying I'll go "against the grain." Throughout my text there is certainly my own feelings that the money is wasted. Just adding the food for thought that even though I've probaby bought 5-6 extended warranties, including one on a car once that MORE THAN PAID FOR ITSELF... I still think of them as wastes, except of course 'WHEN YOU NEED THEM."

It was just food for thought from a different point of view. I think he wanted opinions and experience. I offered mine. Even you begin with "usually a waste of money..." What do you mean by "usually?" I guess sometimes, sometimes they might pay off. That's all I was offering there, Mr. Just My Opinion.
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote