Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 8, 2003, 11:07 AM   #11

Thanks John, point well taken.

I think the s400 is one that can get obsolete quite quickly due to its lack of growth and automatic nature.

The more i think about it the more I am realizing that I want it all. Being so, there isn't a camera that has it all so maybe I should consider buying different cameras for different purposes when needed/desired. Just from reading posts on these forums it looks like most people have at least 2 cameras serving different purposes.
DazedAndConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
The more i think about it the more I am realizing that I want it all. Being so, there isn't a camera that has it all so maybe I should consider buying different cameras for different purposes when needed/desired.
Welcome in to the advanced confusion corner:-))

Hear my wooh; I decided 2 month ago to buy a new digi cam, found exactly like you that no camera fitted my basic needs. Now I'm even more confused because it can't even be solved with 2 different camera's. I think I'm gonna buy ten and solder all the parts I want together ;-)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 1:45 AM   #13

Check out the Canon Powershot G3, it's 4MP and has fully automatic and fully manual modes. I got one 3 months ago and love it! It has all the features you'll ever need (besides interchangeable lens) and takes awesome pictures!
SpeedyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:18 AM   #14

I fell in love with my Canon powershot S100 a few years ago and since then have upgraded to the S110, S330 and now the S400.
I liked the S330 but just couldn't get used to the slightly larger size and extra weight and for that reason didn't keep it as long as the others. This little S400, just like the S100 and S110, goes where-ever I go and many pictures have been taken when I least expected to be taking a picture. Just like it's predecessors this camera is rugged enough to take mountain climbing and light enough to take, well, mountain climbing and bike riding and horse riding and, and and. Now if only I was the kind of guy who would do all of these things.
As far as the quality of the pictures is concerned, you would have to be a real fanatic to find anything wrong with the pictures that the S400 takes in just about any condition. It is a fully automatic camera while also being a camera that has more manual adjustments then the average person will want to play with. My Nikon FA has not seen daylight since I got my first Powershot S100 and chances are it will become an antique before it ever takes a picture again.
Did I mention I love my S400? :P :lol:
Edramb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 4:35 PM   #15

It's not about the pixels, it's about the lens. That's why I went with the Contax SL300RT. It's beautifully designed, blazing fast, and takes great pictures. It was pricey, running $499 just about everywhere. But it has fallen in price recently, to $429. Most camera stores are still getting $499, so look online. Somewhere like Adorama.com or B&H.
Camera stores, if they don't carry it, will niche it as a boutique camera or slam it for having a battery that takes too long to charge.
They're wrong about the boutique part. They're right about the battery. I bought an extra one. Problem solved.
And after you get the Contax, turn your attention to a small, high-quality 35mm point 'n shoot film camera, something like a Rollei afm35. The Contax should have a sibling. If you want to spend more (but who does?), there's the Leica Minilux. I'd recommend the Rollei.
macroom is offline   Reply With Quote