Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:04 PM   #1

Going to a fireworks show on Saturday in Butchart gardens, Victoria BC, but I don't own a tripod. Can any of you give me any tips on how to manage to take good shots without camera shake with my Canon S3 IS?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Cheers.
mtgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:00 AM   #2

A tripod is best, but you should be able to get shots if you can rest the camera on something solid, such as a car roof , wall, street sign, etc. Keep a cushion between the camera and surface. Bean bag or folded jacket will work.

Try for shutter speeds in the 1/2 sec to 2 second range, depending on how much trail you want to show.

Have fun.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:41 AM   #3

thank you very much VTphotog for your advice. Sounds really good to me. I will try to follow your advice on saturday.

Cheers
Old Jun 29, 2007, 2:23 AM   #4

The image stabilization in the S3 should be good enough to do a 1/2 second exposure hand-held, as long as you zoom all the way out. The tricky part is choosing the area to shoot and not following the action while you hold for the full exposure.

Here's a sample shot I took recently with my Pentax K100D at 27mm equivalent. I think the S3 only goes back to 35mm, but I also think it's stabilizer is better:

The camera probably has a fireworks mode, but if that doesn't work for you (it might set the shutter speed too slow) try this; set the camera to M mode, use manual focus to focus to infinity and leave it there, set the shutter speed to 1/2 second and maybe use an f/stop around 4. The aperture is the setting you'll need to play with a bit. If the f/stop it too low you'll overexpose and lose color, and if it's too high you'll underexpose and get dull pictures.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:09 AM   #5

thanks corpsy mate for your advice. I am already practising in the M mode as you suggested. Since you have advised me tobe careful about the aperture, maybe I will use exposure bracketing, so that I get at least one decent shot.

Yes, the S 3IS has a fireworks mode among the SCN (special scene options), but the manual have said to always use it with tripod to prevent camera shake. I don't own one, and really need to travel light for this one, so your and VTphotog's advice would come in very useful indeed
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:53 AM   #6

I wouldn't suggest exposure bracketing, I don't think it's necessary and as far as I know, it will only change the shutter speed. You'll probably want to keep the shutter speed at 1/2 second as long as it doesn't blur.

It's actually not that hard to get the aperture setting right. You can be within a very wide exposure range and still have them come out fine. Wider apertures will expose brighter, but that will usually just mean the fireworks will look a bit thicker unless you really overdo it. I'd recommend that you just be ready to change the setting once you see how your first shots come out.

On my recent batch of photos, the aperture ranged from f/7 all the way up to f/14 and for the most part they all came out fine. The exception was towards the finale when there were a lot going off at once and at f/7 it did get a bit too bright. Take a look:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 2:32 AM   #7

mtgoat wrote:
Quote:
Going to a fireworks show on Saturday in Butchart gardens, Victoria BC, but I don't own a tripod. Can any of you give me any tips on how to manage to take good shots without camera shake with my Canon S3 IS?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Cheers.
I'm going to use a tripod when I shoot on saturday night.

so good luck on your shots.
Derek034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:16 AM   #8

Great Derek, do post your best shots here, so that even if I do not fare well, I can some good ones from you.

Happy Canada day!:-)
Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:18 PM   #9

bean bag, or get yourself some beans and place in a glad bag then rest it on it. if it is jelly beans or something you care not to keep?

Been there Luv the place. Murchies . prliment, and the gardens I remember
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:54 AM   #10

mtgoat wrote:
Quote:
Great Derek, do post your best shots here, so that even if I do not fare well, I can some good ones from you.

Happy Canada day!:-)
No problem. and this time I can have a crooked shot HEHE.

but seriously I'm going to probably use a SMALL tripod and then sit in a chair.
Derek034 is offline   Reply With Quote