Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1

Hi guys, this is my first post. So glad to have found this great forum.

I have been photographing my wife's paintings with my old Olympus 5050 for several years now in the TIFF mode, because that's what I was told was best. But the Oly has now died and the cameras I'm looking at now dont offer TIFF or RAW. So my question to you is this: is shooting in TIFF that much different than shooting in HQ JPEG? I'm talking about printing out to about 12"x12" size on our Epson printer. So if there is a difference, how noticable is itin that size? Will I be happy with the JPEG, or do I need to shell out more dough to get a camera with TIFF?

Thanks very much for your help!
rockchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2007, 1:05 AM   #2

The reason, I believe that many camera makers are dropping the .tiff format, is there is so little noticeable difference in quality, but a huge difference in file size. It becomes more pronounced with higher megapixel cameras. Image quality is more likely to be affected by the lens quality than .jpg format.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 2:28 AM   #3

If you are getting proper exposures, you probably wouldn't notice any difference between the two. If however you tend to underexpose and fix the shots later, you may notice that TIF does a better job of retaining detail in the shadow area since JPG compression throws out a lot of the darker details. I've never used TIF myself though so I don't know how significant the difference really would be. If the TIFs are 16 bit, it would be quite a big difference. If 8 bit, not that much. But again, if your exposures are good JPG should be fine.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:42 PM   #4

Thanks guys.....much appreciated!

rockchuk is offline   Reply With Quote