Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 7, 2003, 9:50 PM   #1

Default very strange Question... Nikon 5700 vs. Canon D30 SLR

Ok, I currently have a Canon S40 and love it.

I'm thinking of upgrading cameras and I was thinking of getting a used D30 SLR, or a new Nikon 5700. Pricewise both will be similar, of course the canon won't come with a lens, but thats ok.

What do you guys think about the image quality between the two however? I know its a strange question, but it seems like the regular non SLR cameras are getting up there in quality, and I like the idea of "all in one".

Is this just a dumb question and is the quality of photo uncomparible?

I've also had slight doubts about the 5700 because some online samples I've seen seem to be worse then my canon S40. But It is 5-mp and Nikon does make some amazing cameras, so they may just be horrible samples.

Thanks for any and all help on this huge dilema i'm having !
mark321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2003, 11:27 PM   #2

Default Re: very strange Question... Nikon 5700 vs. Canon D30 SLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark321
I'm thinking of upgrading cameras and I was thinking of getting a used D30 SLR, or a new Nikon 5700. Pricewise both will be similar, of course the canon won't come with a lens, but thats ok.

What do you guys think about the image quality between the two however? I know its a strange question, but it seems like the regular non SLR cameras are getting up there in quality, and I like the idea of "all in one".
Well, this is a strange question. It is very difficult to gauge the image quality between the 5700 and the Canon D30. FIRST, the 5700 has a fixed lens while the D30 does not. As you know, image quality depends on lens quality. So, putting a top-of-line Canon lens on the D30 will definitely beat the 5700 miles. SECOND, image quality also depends on the image sensor. However, there is no way to compare the two sensors without using lenses unless you are doing it in a lab. In fact, if you really like the idea of all-in-one like many people do, you perhaps will not choose the D30 even though the D30 may provide you will a better image quality because (1) you may a lot for quality Canon lenses, (2) the weight of the camera body plus one or two lenses may be significantly higher than the 5700, and (3) you will have no wide angle capability due to the focal length multiplier unless you invest more to get a ultra wide prime or zoom lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark321
I've also had slight doubts about the 5700 because some online samples I've seen seem to be worse then my canon S40. But It is 5-mp and Nikon does make some amazing cameras, so they may just be horrible samples.
The 5700 will definitely help you take shots better than the S40. Many online samples were not taken by experienced photographers and should not be used to judge the quality of a camera. In fact, the best way to see the quality of a camera is to shoot some images by yourself. So, my suggestion is that take a CF card to a local camera store, and shoot something with the 5700 and S40.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 11:33 PM   #3

3mp vs. 5mp, about two years gap in technology... but the 5700 is still noisier at ISO 800 than the D30, which goes one stop over to ISO 1600. Autofocus speed too would be an issue if you were to compare a USM L lens from Canon vs. Nikon's 5700's lens. But this advantage comes at a steep price. Also, I'm not too fond of EVF's, prefering an optical ttl viewfinder. All these disadvantages aside, the 5700 does apeal for its all-in-one design. I know since I am a former E-10 user (and what a nice camera that was!). The 5700 offers a greater zoom than most dettachable lenses, and a dust-less design (I have my D100's sensor cleaned almost once a week). And remember that once you start buying Canon equipment you buy into their system... Canon lenses, flashes & accessories. You can later Ebay the equipment if you don't like it, but you lose money in doing so. And if you go the 5700's route, should you decide to get a new camera later, you can pretty much dump accessory lenses, as they are most likely camera specific (correct me if I'm wrong here). Weigh in all these factors, plus find some more samples to look at, do you find an SLR more gratifying, or do you want a more compact all-in-one you can lug around to more places, that sort of thinking. Good luck in your decision
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 11:35 PM   #4
NHL

Another consideration is the speed of operation that a non-dSLR can never approach. ie while the camera take the time to focus the action might already passed by with the 5700...

Depht of Field is the other factor (or too much of it) is something most smaller CCD digicams also share in common, but if you value compactness and convenience overall then the 5700 is the way to go!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 2:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the great replies everyone.

I should note that every other feature such as speed of the camera, battery life, etc etc are really secondary to me.

My main question is about absolute image quality. Of course as was mentioned this is going to depend on the type of lens I'm using with the D30, but lets assume a D30 with a standard use canon lens. ? I don't think I'll be lugging around a lot of lens' so I'd probably buy one all purpose one and "set it and forget it" kind of thing. With a macro or wideangle lens on the side.

Is a 5700 at all comparable to this in terms of image quality?

Thanks for helping a truly confused person out
Old Aug 8, 2003, 7:29 PM   #6
NHL

Quote:
Of course as was mentioned this is going to depend on the type of lens I'm using with the D30, but lets assume a D30 with a standard use canon lens?
Why are you assuming standard Canon lenses are bad? They are at least as good or better than the lens that comes with the 5700! Are standard Nikon lenses any better? Just look @ the 5700 lens even compared to an el-cheapo $50 standard EF-50mm f/1.8 (BTW a fantastic lens for portrait shot)... The choice is limitless here and you don't even have to break the bank with Tokina, Tamron or Sigma if don't like cheap Canon lenses. Not everyone shoot with just 'L' lenses unless it's paid for by someone else!

Pick the 5700 for convenience if you like, but I don't think you can justify the decision based on quality after all you're comparing a professional camera to a consumer, albeit a high-end one...
Old Aug 8, 2003, 10:32 PM   #7

Sorry, hope I didn't come across wrong. I don't think Canon lenses are bad. In fact they seem to be really good ! I was just saying realistically for comparison sake I would like to use a standard (not bad, standard as in the canon lens for this camera 28-135 IS) since I will most likely not be much of a lens swapper, more of a filter swapper.

And you did hit on an important point, so you do feel the canon lens in this case would be far superior to the 5700 lens ?

Again, I know this is a very strange and difficult question to deal with, but I'm really wrestling between these two cameras even tho they aren't really apples to apples

thanks !
Old Aug 8, 2003, 10:48 PM   #8
NHL

You're again not comparing apple to apple, the EF 28-135 IS USM has both Image Stabilization and Ultrasonic fast focusing which definetly the 5700 is lacking! Also with USM you can overide the AF on the fly... Try that on the 5700, numerous people have complained how awkward the pushbutton motorized manual focusing is on this camera already

Here's the difference: Is the picture quality that important if you miss the expression on people face (or the action you try to capture) in the 1st place?