Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 10, 2003, 2:55 PM   #11
Boo

Well I'm on the payroll and it's my job, so that's how I manage it - as I said earlier, I nearly always photograph bands specifically for them and many of my live photos are for the bands' web sites.

It has been my experience talking to other photographers that for big gigs particularly you need to have a specific reason to do it, a commission for a magazine, web site work etc. - if you're commissioned, the person hiring you usually sorts it anyway - I very rarely arranged my own. I'm photographing a gig in London tomorrow and when I go to the box office, my passes etc. will be waiting for me.

For smaller or unsigned bands they're usually more flexible and are happy to embrace any publicity opportunity. I do a lot for unsigned bands through a local music collective and I do photos in return for full credits and web links and if they're flush, a couple of beers on the night - or one who provides a very good hot pot supper! It's how I support local bands - using my skills and facilities to help them with something that would otherwise cost them dear. I've done photos for album sleeves and web sites and very rarely get paid, but it builds my portfolio (I have two, another under another identity, so the one below isn't all of my work) and helps them and it tends to open doors, I've done work for two local bands that have family members in much bigger bands and my support has led to professional work for them later.

One last tip; it's promoters (or the band's management who work through the promoter with it) that assign passes, not record labels, most people that speak to me asking how I get permission at gigs say they wrote to the record label - it simply isn't usually one of their functions and the requests, of which they get hundreds a week, are probably ignored.

See if there's a local music collective or music venue that un-signed bands play at, it gives you good learning expereince and they're usually happy for someone to help out and it beats what the drummer's girlfriend can manage with a disposable camera!!
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 3:03 PM   #12
SSD

Thanks for the advice!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:44 PM   #13

Default muslim alternatives?

its there a cheap alternative to the common used muslin or paper?
milleniumdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:25 AM   #14

Default muslim alternatives?

:P Strange twist in thread topic :P

One alternative is to go to a house paint supplier and buy some drop-cloths, they come in many sizes but the larger ones have a seam in the middle. They are sort of a light tan in color and made of muslin.
Though a lot of the new ones are now made of plastic you can still find the cloth ones. Take it home and paint it with the colors you need yourself.

Supporting it is harder, the cloths can get on the large and heavy side.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 1:40 PM   #15

lol i really tried to put the muslin stuff on another new topic, but was asleep lol, ill try the local glidden
milleniumdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 4:56 PM   #16

Here are some hints on making the background http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=000WdS
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 5:06 PM   #17

Sorry for breaking into this topic, but I really want to say that Boo photos rock. No wonder bands invite him.

About the photos by 'other photographers; That typical shows what being a pro is 80 % about, having a good network and a lot of equipment as 'insurance' (s)he is up to any task they give.

Actually thanks Boo for putting them so embarassing next to your photos. Their shots encouraged me to be a bit more proud with the lousy shots I take with a Canon S100 (ixus/elph first serie; strictly 100 iso, "senior shutterlag" and little manual control ).
Note these photos have been taken in a pogoing crowd;
http://www.desk.nl/mupe/photos/buzzcocks/index.htm
http://www.desk.nl/mupe/photos/stooges/index.htm

It is far from desired quality, if you can see uberhaupt any quality (bewarned a lot of camera shake ;-))
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 5:49 PM   #18

yeah she takes some really nice pics

i'm into all the musicy pics aswell

but i tend to go for the mad,arty blurry thing...it all depends on the band though if its a bunch of people goin totally wild show it...but if its mellow stuff like some of the bands boo has taken, kinda go for the eatheral approach
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 6:24 PM   #19

Tanx :-) Also thanx to the bands; their stage presence helped the photos from being 'anonymous parkinson' into a rock 'n roll understatement.

Say, Davebird what camera do you use to manipulate the blurr effect?
I can hear the music scream. I think I do have to skipp my motto: "I like being an amature, it gives me the right to publsh 'bad' pictures". Punks with short hair blurr too little :-D And blurring is too serious bussines.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:10 AM   #20

i use the legendary fuji s602

normally around iso 160-400
fully manual - f-4 / one second with flash

i normaally get a bout 60-70 shots various speeds etc

get about 20 quality ones at most

but i have a 1gb microdrive and a 128mb smartmedia so its cool!

i've taken up a residency at the liverpool barfly- boo might have heard the barfly name around the music scene, so come sept when all the uni kids get back the bigger name bands will be returnin. and i'll hopefully work on my kinda group promo shots.

most important piece of kit i own though!

etymotic research - high fidelity hearing protection...or earplugs :P

best thing i've bought...i want to still be able to hear good music in a few years.
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote