Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 9, 2003, 12:21 PM   #1

Default Need to buy more cameras for business

Hi,

I'm looking to buy about 20 more digicams to expand a small business I'm running. I have criteria for choosing a camera, and I think I've narrowed my options, but I'm looking to clarify these issues.

2+ Megapixels
Movies with sound
Removable memory
LCD viewfinder
AA batteries
Flash
Zoom lens
Takes good pictures
Easy to use (1st timer should be able to learn how to take photos in under 1 minute)

Cost is a big consideration, but a crappy $100 camera does me no good. A perfect $300 camera is also out of the question. Ideally, I'd like to get 20 @ $150 each. Should I be able to get a good discount since I'm buying that many cameras? And is there any way to buy them w/o any of the extras (CDs, cables, manuals, etc.) since we'll only need 1 of each? Thanks.
jakerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2003, 1:05 PM   #2

my only comment on this issue is you better get ones built like tanks. because i have found that if the person doesn't own it they don't really care about it. deposit or not your going to take hardware losses fairly quickly.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2003, 9:24 PM   #3

OK, that makes sense. Along those lines, does anyone know the answer to these 2 questions:

Which cameras is the most reliable/ toughest?
Which camera is easiest to use?
Old Aug 9, 2003, 10:10 PM   #4

that is the basic issue. people who have never handled a particular camera and with no training in its operation will tend to put a camera through some strain.

the canon s200 is in the $250-$300 range full metal jacket and no sliding cover.
then there is the A60 that you had in your advert. at ~$185+

and it is highly unlikely you will get these as a bulk pack. they're packaged for individual sales but that is not to say you won't get a better deal for a large amount.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 1:47 PM   #5

Floppy disk drive built in -- Wonderful for business use -- where cameras may be taken out to job sites or have pics which need to go to clients or people who don't have the cable for interface or drivers on their machines.... it may be worth it to consider cams that can take floppy disks (less expensive cams than the little CDR ones) as well as the standard memory card.

Our Sony FD-100 is *almost* perfectly suited for what we do here at work. It is a 2.1mpixel cam, 4x optical zoom, macro mode, writes to a floppy (wonderful for easy interface), but when it comes to extras of this or that for easier use... it needs a $60.00 extra battery, $60.00 extra charger, $30.00 extra usb cable, $50.00 memory card, then another $50.00 for a camera bag..... sure, all that proprietary stuff works great, but... you pay out the nose for it....

One last thought... there are just some people who can't take pictures or understand the basics -- Don't jerk the camera when you push the button, keep thumb off the lens and autofocus beam, remove lens cap before snapping pics, center the subject or at least don't cut off more of the subject than necessary, etc.. You might want to get a few cams at first to kinda assay trainability, basic skills, ability to read instruction manual and apply, ability to figure out the interface and basic photo editing (Cropping, rotating, brightness, and contrast) then get cameras accordingly.

Best regards

John
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 2:22 PM   #6

Thanks John, but that's not quite what I need. The cameras will be returned at the end of the day, and we'll handle the memory cards for uploading, etc. The floppy is tremendously useful for some situations, but we'd rather have a larger memory card that patrons don't need to swap out or remove as they take a lot of pictures. I used to have a FD-100 (or a close cousin) in my lab, where we had ready access to floppies. Your point on proprietary connections is well taken, which is why we're focusing on cameras that take standard memory (compact flash or smart media) and AA batteries.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:20 PM   #7
lg

You may not be able to meet your budget with all of the criteria you specified in a new camera. I'm not certain they have movies with sound, but you might be able to find a good buy on a lot of refurbished Olympus cameras somewhere. The D490, D510, D520, and D550(3MP) all have a durable clamshell design, use SmartMedia and AA batteries, 3x optical zoom and take excellent quality pictures.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote