Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:53 PM   #1

What is an ND filter, and where would I get one for a Fuji s6000? Is there a site on the Internet that specializes in such things for this camera?
DWFII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2007, 4:03 PM   #2

nd = neutral density

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"its dark and stops light,making exposures longer for those who need slower shutter speeds

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"no idea if they fit ur cam,look on end of lens does it have internal thread and say the size in mm,if so then u can have one

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 6:34 PM   #3

According to DP Review the lens has a 58mm filter thread. (Circle with a line through it next to 58mm on the front of the lens)

Several dealers:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?
http://www.photofilter.com/
http://www.2filters.com/-

Hoya is a good brand.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:14 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you.

How often am I likely to need an ND filter?

Only one other question...on filters in general.

I am planning on getting some macro filter/lenses.

Even though this camera has a pretty good super macro mode, I understand that macro lenses will facilitate using the zoom to get into that blindspot between macro and supermacro.

DW
In the High Desert of Central Oregon

DWFII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 2:27 AM   #5

DWFII wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to both of you.

How often am I likely to need an ND filter?

There are two main uses for ND filters..... one to reduces extermely bright light where you might have to shoot at f/22 otherwise, but you want a shallow DOF that would not allow.

The other is to intentional motion blur images, most often used for waterfalls and rivers.... they reduce the light enough to allow you to shoot slow enough to make the water have that etherial flowwing look.

One other application is a specialized ND filter called graduated..... and are shaded dark to clear across the filter..... can be very useful for things like sunsets and water scenes where the sky is significantly brighter than the ground/water.

Filter is positioned so dark half is over the bright part allowing the shot to be more balanced exposed.

Opps actually there is a third type, also graduaded that are colored vs truly neutral grey.... used to give gray/white sky for instance a sepia tone (often called tobacco) filters. More extreme colors of same graduated type are useful for FILM B&W where they give contrast differences to sky but not ground (Not really necessary for DIGITAL as you can do that post, by just manipulating the color channels)

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote