Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:48 PM   #11

Default I've fixed tv ; electronics..P.S.soldering for 7 yrs+-meters

Hi NHL I am able to do the repairing of many items..( ran a scope for a while but didn't have much hands on use) with that..

Have used and understand ; metering Have a digital meter now..at hand...soldering gun...worked on tv's ; electronics ; power supplies..etc...Basic ohms ; volts ; amps ; etc concepts....NOT a designer ( regular repair guy type)....Know how to troubleshoot...diode's ; the caps; etc....transistors...

ALL I'm trying to do for the immediate is to get a useable cheap charger ( eBay?) that'll charge the batteries (even 1) but IF I knew the pinout as to type plugs..to use I'd try to fabricate one...

What do you have in mind to offer.?? I'm quite openminded and will openly accept suggestions and plans.. Thanks. Ed~
One_Eye_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 6:42 AM   #12
NHL

Well that's good, we're off to a good start... Let's break into two parts (and IMO you're on the right track):

1. Battery
... and I agree with Steve here: http://photo.cis.to/pipermail/nikon/...ry/009863.html
This pack is probably very old, and wouldn't do you any good in the long run. It will probably do you more harm and damage the charger if you try to hook it up and the cells are shorted. You're better off opening this pack to see what it's made of and may be able to convert it to an NiMh pack if the cells are of similar size... You don't need a fancy charger for now, and can come up with a harmless low current trickle charger, ie charge by time/timer since the cells are probably wired in series anyway!

2. Camera Power
We've tried and it looks like the documentation is non-existent: http://www.madsens.com.au/nikon/october/digital4.PDF
Let's figure this one out...
Can you ohm out the pins from the camera's power jack to the battery compartment? This will at least tell us which one is the ground (-) since this pin is usually not switched. Use the +/- terminal on the battery pack as a guide.
RadioShack carries now a whole range of wallplug switching power supply for digital cameras, and you can probably find one in the 7.2V, 1200mAh range. The RS included set of plugs will probably not fit knowing Nikon, and you probably have to custom fit it with slide on pins and heat-shrink tubing...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:02 PM   #13

Default I'll perform those tests once I have camera..

Hi NHL and others.. I have not received the camera yet ; but should be tomorrow (8/13/03). Then and only then will I be able to look the camera over.

From the facts I can gather the camera (this FUJIX/NIKON DS-515A)( was marketed by FUJI) and was the IDENTICAL Camera to the NIKON E2N & E2Ns..(YET I have NOT been able to find any helpful info as to WHAT Batteries and/or charger and AC Adapter that camera uses.)

I feel that IF I could POSITIVELY identify that matter IT would be a reasonably " easier " ..fix to approach for the matter...

I really do appreciate the help...thanks. I have searched and looked til I am tired of looking and still NOT finding out hardly ANYTHING on this camera...

All your help is appreciated.....I have 2 - working NiCd camcorder battery chargers...with the " floating type pins contacts ( + and -)..I was sort of thinking ; I wonder if these MIGHT be able to be " smart " enough to trickle " juice into the batteries.." Course I have to wait until I receive the batteries along with the camera to see the specs.....volts;; mAh etc...

Bye for now again NHL Thanks FOR ALL YOUR HELP..!;-) Ed~
Old Aug 12, 2003, 9:11 PM   #14

He he, very interesting project here
About the battery , I agree with NHL approach . Just open it and try to substitute the cells with “modern” ones . Then a simple slow charger is simple to put up with material from your junk box :lol: .
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 10:37 PM   #15

Default Hi KCan !! You care to point me to a schematic? I may have 1

Hi KCan.... How are you and things? Well it's been awhile since we've " spoke " here together.It was about the SONY DCS-770 and the electronic flash project.

At any rate ; I have a SONY and a RICOH ( Sony) model camcorder Charger.

I would maybe think that these could be fabricated to ( temporarily) work at getting me some juice into the camera batts..time being...as RIGHT now...I haven't even been able to try the camera...I should have it 8/13.....

Any small ( slow trickle charger schematics) available KCan?? You have anything..?? Maybe a link ..?

Hope to get this camera functional..I am buying the Fujix/Nikon Ds-515A body ; With NIKON F mount . Bought a AF lens on it's way ( and the PCMCIA memory (CF adapter card for it)) on it's way. shipping to me......I mean.

I want the items to arrive ( suppose to altogether.) Mid week..8/13-8/14 . and then ; without any charged batts..nor ac power adapter ; going to try to get this camera functional ( NEEDS power to turn on and try out..)

Hence that's why the desperate hurry in lining up the " ways and means to charge these batts. " HECK I don't even know what style alternative batteries I could even use and buy a charger for a more current marketed battery...

I can't find the original battery anywhere ; (it is coming with 2- Fujix BP-5D batteries..)..I can't even tell if they are close to the ( NIKON EN-1) any help is welcomed ..Thanks Ed~
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:37 PM   #16

Hi Ed,
You can have plenty of schematics on the web, just search for electronic/schematics/projects …
For example:
http://www.havingasoftware.nl/robots...attCharger.htm
http://pc1-archbo.bot.unibas.ch/~pas...l+charger.html

simple constant current charger:
http://w1.859.telia.com/~u85920178/b...t-00.htm#charg

As NHL pointed out, the important is to figure out the voltage of your cam/battery pack . Making a slow charger is simple, a transformer, a diode bridge, some resistance , that’s it.
Even in my Metz NiCad slow charger, they use a light bulb as ballast resistor and as a “monitor light” as well : http://www.pbase.com/image/2133012

But if you need a power supply (AC adapter) , the best is buying a multi-voltage switching power supply (designed for digicam) , they sell it around 30$, far cheaper than you could do yourself.

By experience with NiCad, I guess that even if your battery pack is discharged for a long time now, with a slow charge, you would probably be able to bring it to life with a short discharge (use) time , enough for testing and measuring parameters.
(long time ago, I built a device called “NiCad Zapper” , supposed to “burn” the internal shorts in NiCad with a high voltage discharge , bringing the battery life back, but it doesn’t work really :roll: )

BTW, this camera seems a very interesting experience , a interesting way to reuse Nikon lenses , if it cost not too much , comparing to recent SLR digital camera, isn’t it?
Keep us informed heh?
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:50 PM   #17

Ed,
You may have a variable power supply? This is perfect for emergency charger :
Set the output slightly higher than the bat pack voltage ( let say 10 V for a 7.2 V pack) , put a resistor in series to limit the current ( roughly a 27 Ohms to dissipate 3 volt and limiting to .1 A) , monitor the voltage at the bat pack with your miltimeter (to prevent over charge ) , sit down and take 4 or 5 coffee cups … 8)

PS: or better: instead of the resistor, put a 3V bulb, you then have a curent monitor as well
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:17 AM   #18
NHL

Good advice here from Kcan for the charger, and the light bulb for current limiting is the best... (intensity as indicator? ).
Also the simpler the slow charger the better it is, transformer/diode bridge etc... the problem with using existing charger (smart or otherwise) are:
1. It detects short and shuts itself off -> you've got no charge
2. It output might be regulated depending on your good (or bad) battery
... a simple low-current dumb trickle charger will avoid all that! For anyone paranoid of overcharging use a wall timer! :lol:

For the AC adapter power to the camera, you can't do this: you need the higher current and the nominal voltage for the camera to run, else it'll stay in reset!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 2:27 AM   #19

Default BATTERY's Charged Via Camcorder Charger..NOW CF CARD FORMAT?

Hi ..I received the camera and its " 2 " uncharged batteries..ONE is labelled " NIKON EN-1 " (not ENEL-1)..the other FUJI BP-D5 (Not 5D) as the " info off the net showed ...that I received.

So..anyways ; I measured both batts. not shorted ; not dead at all..( LOW voltage though)..THEY have a little barrel receptacle BUILT INTO the end of the batts..I have made a temp..barrel plug to the batts..and charging them using a camcorder charger...

7.2 V , 1200 mAh batts...being charged with 10 V , 1.3 A..and when charged the Charge LED goes OFF!!..SO...I didn't have this info or knowledge of " seeing this on the batts " until in person..

NEXT problem ; camera turns on and runs...BUT it uses PCMCIA for memory (media)..I bought a PCMCIA (CF card adapter) and have 2 CF cards...access to them ; an 8 megs and a 32 meg. I insert the 8 or the 32 meg CF card into the PCMCIA adapter first..

Install that into the camera ...turn on camera ( and It shows a BLINKING rectangular box (on a top LCD display)with the word " CHANGE" in that.! I would think that means change the memory card.

If I remove the CF Card ( but leave the PCMCIA adapter in (It then shows the box (no writing but blinks)..There's a FORMAT Button on the camera ( but without any Booklet ; manual ; guide and none to be found off net ; I haven't a clue if the icon is an error...or ( just needs formatting ( so this particular camera can recognize it.) I already deleted files on it via card reader...Windows 98..Then tried formatting FAT16 and FAT32 won't let it work..(DOES THIS MEAN THIS Camera can only use PCMCIA Cards (not any adapter )?? HUM??

So ; NOW I really need some reader here ; THAT OWNS and uses or has used one of these FUJIX DS-515A cameras to help....me figure it out....Also this camera was ( and is) EXACTLY IDENTICAL to the NIKON E2S model....

Thanks for your time...Hope to hear soon from somebody..Ed~