Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 10, 2007, 9:18 AM   #1

When you zoom in very far (so the blue car on the street fills the screen?) on this picture I took at the highest resolution, largest size, with a Canon SD 600, it gets noisy and grainy.

http://peapack.us/1.jpg

Am I just pushing the max limitfor the camera / resolution? At some point even a 100Megapixel camera will reach it's limit? Or is there something I can do with the settings or buy a better 6 megapixel camera?

Thanks!

[email protected]
babaganoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2007, 9:26 AM   #2

a couple other things - looking at the picture on the web, there's nothing to the let of the trailers and you don't see the trailers at the bottom of the picture, along with the shaded trees I was standing under, also on the lower part of the picture. the original picture is 3.6 MB and when I save the picture it is also 3.6 MB. I didn't change the file before posting on the website .

any thoughts about why the picture got cropped once it's on the web? the URL above isn't for a page with the picture in it, but rather then actual JPG, so there shouldn't be any cropping? And the file size stayed the same, but you see less of the file?

thanks again!

Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Administrator

babaganoosh wrote:
Quote:
When you zoom in very far (so the blue car on the street fills the screen?) on this picture I took at the highest resolution, largest size, with a Canon SD 600, it gets noisy and grainy.
Tell me you're kidding (zooming in so far that the blue car fills the screen). You're seeing pixelation. lol That's like trying to print a billboard, then viewing it from a foot away. ;-)

Think about how large a print like that would be (heck, even viewing a photo at 100% on screen is a *very* large, and not a very good way to judge image quality, especially since most screens are set to around 96 dots per inch and won't accurately represent the image. Even at only 100% viewing size, you'd have the equivalent of a 29" wide image at 96 dpi (what many monitors are going to be using anymore) with an image that's 2816 pixels wide (like that one).

You've got to be viewing it zoomed in a lot more than 100% if you're filling the screen with that car.

To get it to fill the screen, you'd need to zoom in so much that you're viewing what represents individual pixels spaced too far apart (and most browsers are not going to do that very well anyway, since they're not using sophisticated enough interpolation algorithms). Stick with 100% or smaller unless you're using a viewer with more sophisticated interpolation algorithms (and even then, you'll see degradation since the algorithms would be trying to add pixels that were not in the original image to go that large).

If you need more detail in a subject that far away, buy a camera with more optical zoom.

If you enlarge an image to make it look like you used twice as much optical zoom, you'd need 4 times the resolution (since like area, resolution is computed by multiplying width x height) to have the same number of pixels representing your subject. So, even a 2 Megapixel Camera using twice as much optical zoom could outperform your 6 Megapixel Camera as far as the number of pixels representing your subject if you need to capture that car. Zoom in more or move closer. ;-)

See this page for more details (just watch out for the ads, as it's a Yahoo Geocities hosted web site).

http://www.geocities.com/digital_ray...oomzoomv7.html

Quote:
a couple other things - looking at the picture on the web, there's nothing to the let of the trailers and you don't see the trailers at the bottom of the picture, along with the shaded trees I was standing under, also on the lower part of the picture. the original picture is 3.6 MB and when I save the picture it is also 3.6 MB. I didn't change the file before posting on the website .
And it doesn't appear to be changed after you posted it either. That image is 2816 x 2112 pixels (the max size your camera produces). I'm looking at it on screen now after downloading it, and I don't see any trailers at the bottom of the photo (only some in the upper left, with a small area of trees to their left, and trees above them), and see no evidence that it's been cropped.

You're probably looking at a different image unless you cropped it and then enlarged it back up to the original resolution (very unlikely, since the makernote tags appear to be intact in the image header, and most software is going to mess that up.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:09 PM   #4

kidding? In a way. Sure, you can zoom in just so much before things get blurry. I am new to this and just didn't know what to expect with a 6MP camera. OK. so it looks normal / acceptable for a full daylight picture that when you zoom in you see the 'noise' / pixelation...? thanks!

you said if you need more detail buy a camera with more optical zoom? would upping the megapixels get you more details? Or is trying to zoom in on the car pushing the limits of the lens? (am I ignorant? by zooming in on the car (high digital zoom), what's the weak link in the process? The megapixels of the camera? the quality / zoom of the optical zoom of the camera? the digital zoom of the PC (Yeah, there's no digital zoom in that picture. I guess I need to do that - take the same picture 1 with 0 optical zoom and the other with 3x optical zoom and see which looks better when you zoom in on the car? at the same megapixel, starting off 'closer' with the optical zoom will make the car look better, right? but 3x optical vs. a 10 megapixel camea? Sure, this is all theoretical - I am not trying to produce a quality picture of things very far away like the car...l more for understanding of the concepts and seeing that the camera is doing the best that can be expected of it... and that I know how to use it right!

Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:28 PM   #5

If you need to capture items in greater detail that are as far away as the car, then yes you would need more optical zoom. That will give you a narrower field of view making the subject appear larger. I'm pretty sure your camera is fine. More megapixels in theory will yield more detail, but in practice that doesn't always happen. Other factors come into play such as sensor size and quality, lens quality, Iso, etc. One can make quality prints with 2 megapixel cameras. Conversely, if you use poor technique you can make pretty awful prints with a 10mp camera. Learn photography basics and all the ins and outs of your camera. If you don't understand the basics, you won't be able to produce consistent results with any camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:09 PM   #6
Administrator

babaganoosh wrote:
Quote:
you said if you need more detail buy a camera with more optical zoom? would upping the megapixels get you more details? Or is trying to zoom in on the car pushing the limits of the lens?
The car needs to occupy a greater percentage of the frame if you want finer details (because if it occupies a higher percentage of the frame, you'll have more pixels representing it).

To get that, you can move closer, or use a longer focal length (zoom in more, or get a camera that has more optical zoom if you want to take photos of something that far away and get more detail of that subject).

Resolution is one factor. But, as I already mentioned above (see the link I gave you in my last post), it takes 4 times the resolution to take the place of using a focal length that's twice as long (or moving to where you're only half that distance to your subject so that it occupies more of the frame instead of zooming in), if you want to increase the number of pixels representing your subject.

As for digital zoom, that just crops a photo and enlarges it again (adding pixels that were not captured by the camera) and can degrade image quality. I make sure to disable it on cameras I use with it (so that I don't use it by accident).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:37 PM   #7

have u never seen the lens's used at sports events?

u need something bigger than that to do what you are asking.

dont believe what u see in films about zooming and zooming, its just not so in real life

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 5:10 PM   #8

Not a pro but correct me Please? you have a 3x optical zoom? and I do not know if you were standing at a great distance or not?

so if I say this and it is wrong i do appologise a 4 megapixal, and 5x optical is all one will ever need . anything more is just that?

1 having a picture (jpeg) and at its highest resolution, will not be the crispest picture even if you go on the pc and magnify in to its fullest? Having the most megapixalsshould allow you chose a position andcrop the shot in the pic , like the car, and depending on what size you want to print will allow you to do just that before it is Interpolated , or jagged? so if megpixals is what you're after yest it will work out, and act almost like an optical zoom at its best?

Now if I can remember back to aug 2001 of these 3 pics?

Imageshack will tell you what camera I shot with the olympus 490z, but not in zooming, cropping etc?

1st pic should be overlooking an airport, iam centerd on the cruise ship

2nd should be at the fullest optcial zoom 3x

3rd 3x, plus 4x digial.

if I needed to crop my shot i can do just that on the 1st two, but that last one it is already interpolated to its fullest, anddistortion will occure after magnification o fa few times?

to me these are a priceless moment. If I only had a 10x optical zoom i could not imagine the photo?

Shot with C990Z,D490Z at 2007-07-10

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 5:28 PM   #9

how can more megapixels not be better?
try get a 4mp pic blown up to 20x30 inches and see how bad it is compated to an 8mp one, the higher megapixel the more detail captured, ie not
sharper but but bigger allowing cropped images to be bigger
your 3rd pic shows how poor digital zoom is compared to the full optical zoom in shot 2 which is pin sharpe.
its like we have said u need lens to get close to the detail, if your too far away for your biggest lens then your just too far away
Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 5:48 PM   #10

I did not mention I did not use a tripod and if I did on the last shot possably the blur would be improved? the higher the zoom the greater the shaek , a stablizer or hand shake is not on my camera?

Very pleased you see the difference?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote