Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 12, 2003, 6:19 AM   #11

Virtual reality headset or specs. plugged into the TV video out? Disconnect your eyes and nose completely from the camera, higher res. output as well!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 7:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Virtual reality headset or specs. plugged into the TV video out? Disconnect your eyes and nose completely from the camera, higher res. output as well!
As long as it involves mirror shades, I'm in.

p.s. I'm left eyed as well, and have a plastic cover over my LCD.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:55 PM   #13

While on this thread, one of my beefs with digicam makers is the lack of camera body left of the lens. Besides being left handed, I had an injury with my right hand which reduced the use of my thumb's ability to grip things...as such the right handed grips on larger digicams are useless, and I use my left hand for gripping the camera; and unlike my SLR there's no body left of the lens to grip on to (at least with my camera with the lens adapter tube I can grip on to that with my left hand).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 1:19 AM   #14

Yeah and there is even less body to hold onto on *shudders* compact cameras. Unfortunately there just aren't that many goods designedfor left handed people, everything from musical instruments to cars are designed for those who use their right hands. In the end the only way to remedy this lack of products is to mercilessly mail and email the makers of digital cameras until they respond.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 3:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
Unfortunately there just aren't that many goods designedfor left handed people, everything from musical instruments to cars are designed for those who use their right hands.
Well, cars aren't right handed...if you drive a car in the UK or Japan, you don't complain that it's designed for left handed people, and many music instruments are either reversable or are ambidextrous. Many people made a fuss because Paul McCartney played the guitar backwards.

There are quite a few places online that do left handed products, and I do shop at them when looking for something that needs better left handed control.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:41 AM   #16

This can be a big problem and causes contentious debate. I have some sympathy with manufacturers who would say the cost of producing special models for a few, would be paid by the majority. I think there's a compromise though. Manufacturers should consider making available the specials (which they don't) and add a bit more to the price.

How do you all feel? Would you be prepared to pay a bit more - or rather get the camera at the same price and ask the rest of us to pay more? This is the same question for many products when considering easy to use or disability needs. Although some changes could be an improvement (like eye correction EVF on all cams), I don't think a universal camera which could be just turned around or upside down would feel a smooth fit for the majority.

Personally, I'd like to think we can give everybody the same opportunities and equal access, but commercial decisions and profit motives get in the way.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 1:39 PM   #17

The stupid thing about all this is most digicam divisions have film divisions that know how to make a good camera...but the digicam divisions concentrate more on the electronics and less on the optics and design...many digicams look more like toys or the $5 disposible cameras.