Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:12 AM   #1

Default Does anyone know of a left-handed/left-eyed digital camera?

I am considering buying a digital camera, but have the problem of being virtually blind in my right eye. I''m worried that when I use the viewfinder my (not small) nose will either get marks on the lcd screen or hinder operation of the mode buttons on the back of the camera. It hasn't been much of a prodlem with my 35mm SLR as there's nothing on the back of the camera to obstruct. I've learned to shoot a rifle left-handed so think I could switch to left-handed for photography but all the cameras I can find seem to be for right-handers. Does anyone know of one?
pooley5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2003, 1:21 PM   #2

Being left-eyed, I turn my head slightly to the right and then have my camera positioned so I'm looking left.

Just another of my rants to digicam manufacturers...the least they should do is have a standard SLR eyecup mount so you can clip on a generic eyecup...that would not only help with sunny days, but will also keep your face further away from the body of the camera.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 5:12 PM   #3
lg

I, too, am left eye dominant and use it exclusively on the viewfinder in my camera. The viewfinder is a little higher up than some of the others, buy my face does tend to touch the LCD screen. I've never found it to be a problem, though-- a quick wipe with a soft cloth or shirt tail and the LCD's sharp as ever again.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 5:24 PM   #4

> left-handed/left-eyed digital camera?

Yep.

If you manage to train yourself to read the display upside-down, then you can also train yourself to use the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 upside-down. And you do seem to have the required stamina.

Really, no kidding. This digicam has its TTL viewfinder (a miniature LCD screen) protruding from the top left corner. With the camera upside-down the viewfinder would be positioned just right for you and all buttons would be perfectly accessible.

Take a look at Steve's review of this camera.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:33 PM   #5

Just a quick question, if you are using the optical viewfinder to frame your shots, then why do you care if the lcd is smudged? I too frame shots with my left eye and i really haven't noticed any complications caused by my nose touching the back of the camera.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 1:04 AM   #6

If you use a filter like a polarizer on the camera, then you NEED to see the image as the main lens sees it while you rotate the polarizer to the correct position. Also when you preview shots, do you want to be looking at your nose prints?
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:26 AM   #7

That may be true, but an evf will let you see through the lens without the lcd. And yes, I derive much pleasure from admiring the stunning specimen of natural beauty that is my nose and the prints it leaves as well. 8)
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 1:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
Just a quick question, if you are using the optical viewfinder to frame your shots, then why do you care if the lcd is smudged? I too frame shots with my left eye and i really haven't noticed any complications caused by my nose touching the back of the camera.
i AGREE, I THINK PEOPLE ARE TOO FUSSY OVER THEIR lcd. tHE LENS I CAN OF COURSE UNDERSTAND BUT HT Elcd? i JUST GIVE IT A QUICK WIPE AND IT IS LIKE NEW ..... JUST DON'T SCRATCH IT.

Ouch ... didn't mean to cap.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 1:41 AM   #9

BTW, there is a left handed *film* camera:
http://www.lefthandedcamera.com/

Only thing is the viewfinder is still central (then again it the parallax error would be more than it already is).

They have a poll running on the site on what type of digital camera they should make.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:51 AM   #10

Quote:
They have a poll running on the site on what type of digital camera they should make
Even though I'm righthanded I gave them my vote for a lefthand mid-priced digicam. In my experience lefthanded and (left) one-eyed people are just as nice.

OTOH, lefthandedness is not the problem. They should design a LEFT-EYED camera.

Shall we start a class-action suit ?
E Pericoloso Sporgersi is offline   Reply With Quote