Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:05 PM   #1

Just curious over time and through Heat/Cold can the sensor deteriorate or cause more noise to show up than when first having the camera brand new? I am shooting at ISO 200 which I have been since I got my camera for certain pictures and now notice more noise than ever. I have cleaned my sensor and it doesnt seem to be dirt cause its still happening and its through out the whole picture.
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:36 PM   #2

I know that over time a sensor may tend to develop problems with hot or dead pixels, but I don't think they are supposed to get generally noisier over time. The first thing I'd do is check your noise reduction setting and make sure it's on. What kind of camera are you using? For many p&s cameras ISO 200 is a rather noisy setting, and perhaps you actually had it at 100 originally. Since you say you cleaned the sensor I would guess you have a DSLR, but noise at ISO 200 would be very odd for a DSLR, even a malfunctioning one.

Have you made direct comparisons between early photos and more recent ones to ensure that an increase in noise was indeed occurring? If your more recent photos are in situations where there's lower light levels and you are taking longer exposures, that would cause an increase in noise. It may also be more visible if you're using different software to view your photos, or if perhaps you are more closely scrutinizing your photos than usual, or if you find yourself brightening up underexposed photos.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:30 PM   #3

I use a Canon 20D and daylight outside ISO 200 I am noticing noise now than when I first had it. Already spoke to Canon think I will just send it in to be looked at.
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 8:54 PM   #4

Have you made any changes in how you use the camera, such as shooting RAW instead of Jpeg, or using a different RAW developer?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It is possible that camera power supply has caused problems with amplification of sensor signal, but that is a bit of a stretch.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:56 PM   #5

Have you accidentally turned up the 'sharpness' setting? That might well digitally enhance any noise that'susually unnoticeable.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote