Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 11, 2003, 6:44 PM   #1

Default Help on digital SLR camera for Use with 3rd gen nightvision

Hi ,I am a (3rdgen+) Night vision nut and have been for years. I am looking at getting started takeing Photos at night do to all the wildlife and unbeleiveable things I see when I am out in the dark. I am looking for a basic SLR digital camera because that is what my 3rd gen NV unit(Litton NAV-3 ) attaches to a SLR camera body and then uses C-mount TV stlye lens up front. I don't need alot of Megapixels because the NV unit will limt the image clarity more than the Megapixels do. Also simple, easy use is a Plus as I will be in the dark using it and I am not a camera nut yet but may be on the way soon if all goes well. Last, Price I would like to stay around the $1100 or less price range if I can. Also does anyone else use high end NV to take Pics?? Thanks for any help I can get!!!
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2003, 2:38 PM   #2

No new DSLR camera is that cheap that I know of. Used might be.

But what really matters what the camera mount will take. What is available?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:37 PM   #3

Default camera

I found the simga SD9 for around $1000 no lens body only and looks like it should work for my task. Also Walmart has a Nikon SLR digital camera for $1100 in stock right now but I have not seen the model anywhere else listed for sale?? I think maybe it was special built for Walmart stores only or something like that.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 10:15 PM   #4

If you can find a link to that walmart camera, that would help. The cheapest currently made and regularly available Nikon DSLR that I know of is the D100. It is a lot more than that price, so clearly this is something else.

The chip that the SD9 uses is revolutionary (Foveon) but I'm starting to think that the market passed it by. Pity, as it seemed to have potential. The real problem is that it only accepts Sigma lenses (maybe there is an adapter?) Because of that limitation I think that:
a) It is doomed. Take only sigma lenses was not a good design choice.
b) I'm not sure if you'll find an adapter for that camera which would fit on to that night vision system. I don't believe that mount is popular (anyone? I'm ignorant here, but I've also never seen anything which takes it.)

This is why I asked what camera mounts the system takes. Probably Canon and Nikon. The Canon D30 is probably in that price range used. If you don't know, could you post a link to the product that would mount a SLR to a Litton NAV-3?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote