Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 12, 2003, 3:52 PM   #1

Default What paper cutter do you use?

I have never used one before with my inkjet prints...just scissors. But then again I rarely print out my photos. But I am getting a better camera soon and will probably be printing out more. Do you guys use a paper cutter? Which one? How expensive? Thanks.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:25 PM   #2
Administrator

Don't think paper cutter - think rotary trimmer. Paper cutters will butcher good photo paper even if the blade's sharp. You want to use a rotary trimmer, it has a circular blade and it cuts photo paper and transparency film like a razor blade.

They cost from $45 and up depending on the size. Just go to any Internet search engine and type in "rotary trimmer"

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 4:35 PM   #3

Thanks Steve, I will do that.

You know, I was looking for the appropriate forum to thank you publicly for all you do, but didn't know exactly where to post. Since you answered me directly, this is as good a place to do it I suppose. For years, your site has been a resource for me, and I frequently point people in the Steve's Digicams direction. So keep up the good work. It means a lot to so many of us.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 5:17 PM   #4

I have a Fiskars 12" Rotary Trimmer:

http://crafts.fiskars.com/projects/s...prod=9580-7097

This has worked well for my trimming as well for my wife's scrapbooking projects on 12" square papers. I happened to get mine at Michael's (an arts and crafts store) for about $40. What is neat about it is because you can change the blades out to either a patterned edge cut or a scoring blade. I have used the scoring blade on some 5x7 paper to cleanly fold over to a notecard with a picture on the front.

I want to step up to the 24" model because I have the i9100 printer (13x19 prints) that I may need to trim down.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 12:56 AM   #5

Joshua,

dcRawley is correct, the Fiskars is great. I bought one at a local COSTCO discount store for less than 30 bucks and they are a marvel. Aside from the quality of the cutting, they have consumeable parts - blades and cutting edges that can be replced when worn out to continuously provide quality cuts.

dc, I didn't know they have a scoring blade since I too need to create my own cards and that comes in handy. Thanks.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 2:53 PM   #6

Fiskars also has a perforating blade. It has been neat to use on a card for a tear off RSVP slip
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:23 PM   #7

If you're going to cut (heavy) photo paper stock on other than an occasional basis, you will appreciate a solid, high quality rotary trimmer. Let me suggest that an investment in a Rotatrim M- series be seriously considered. I have an M-15 and have no reservatioins what so ever about recommending it.

Although the M-15 is a somewhat pricy, it is a serious tool that will last a life time (providing that you lead a normal life :lol: ).

I exclusively use 8.5" x 11" paper stock and routinely print two 4" x 6" and one 5" x 7" per sheet and then cut the individual pictures after printing. The Rotatrim's precision of cut, and silky smooth operation makes this task a breeze rather than a frustrating chore. < No regrets.>
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:02 PM   #8

We use an older Fletcher cutter. The Logan and Valiani are also very good.
They are wall mounted units that cut glass/paper/plastic up to 60inches.

Unfortunatley out of price range for most home users, new ones start at around 1500$us.

Here is a link to one of our cutter blade suppliers, they also sell the cutters
http://www.framingsupplies.com/FramingEquipment.htm
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote