Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 12, 2003, 9:50 PM   #1

Default Exporting images from computer to camera? (Powershot S200)

I recently bought a S200 and I love it. I am starting to take good pictures, worthy enough to share with friends. Having the camera be so small, it's simple enough to carry anywhere, and I would like to show pictures to friends straight from the camera.

Is there any way for me to transfer pictures that were previously transferred to my computer from the Canon Powershot S200, unchanged, back to my camera? Thanks for any help.
XxRyanRJxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2003, 10:51 PM   #2

If your camera shows on your PC as a removable drive you can just copy images to it in the same way you copy files among folders in your hard disk. Just be sure you place the pictures in the same folder the camera uses to store them.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:17 PM   #3

Between my wife and myself we have the Canon G3 and S230. If you have Zoombrowser/Imagebrowser installed, it is a very simple process.

Open Zoombrowser the locate the pictures in a folder that you want to upload; you can only select images in one folder at a time. Select Camera & Memory Card on the tasks panel, then Upload Pictures. You will be prompted if you want the pictures resized or the original size. This is a personal choice.

One thing I have learned is that if you have AutoRotate turned active on your camera you cannot upload any of the images that have _r1 added to your file name or any of the avi movies back to the camera through this method.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 12:29 AM   #4

Many cameras only show pictures that have been UNEDITED and taken by the camera. For instance if you download a pic from the web or that you drew yourself, many cameras won't show that because the pictures taken by the camera are encoded in a special way (with Exif info), and although they're still JPEG pictures the camera won't know what to do with them without the encoding so it will ignore the picture.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 1:27 AM   #5

Default Re: Exporting images from computer to camera? (Powershot S20

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxRyanRJxX
Is there any way for me to transfer pictures that were previously transferred to my computer from the Canon Powershot S200, unchanged, back to my camera.
"TV Writer" from www.satsignal.net does this, even if the images *have* been changed. It has a freeware demo, and the full price version is 20ukpounds or equivalent. It takes collections of any old image files and saves them in a camera-friendly format, for numerous different makes, including at least some Canons. It works on images from my old Olympus (and any other jpeg), and puts things back on my Casio, even though the Casio isn't on its list.

It's the only package I've found so far that will allow pixel editing (e.g., USM sharpening, redeye or 'unperson' removal), and saving in a form that the camera will read. Of course it also allows you to insert captions, slogans, frames of witty text etc. into your slide shows. I've actually *paid* for this one myself, and that doesn't happen often!

Make sure you get the most recent version, which is self-contained & doesn't need a separate runtime library.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 1:35 AM   #6

You said your pictures are unchanged. Windows Explorer (assuming you are using a PC) can do the job for you. Just pick your pictures in the folder where they are, and then select Edit/Copy. Now go to the camera (or memory card reader) in My Computer and select Edit/Paste to copy the pictures into the correct folder.

You don't have to buy or install anything.

On the other hand, I suggest you try cam2pc, which simplifies the process of downloading pictures. Its image browser would also work for transferring pictures from the computer to the camera. There is a free demo version. Don't remember the address of the publisher but you can find it by searching "cam2pc" in Google easily enough.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote