Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 17, 2003, 2:45 PM   #21

JimC

Ok, maybe I'm missing something but spybot freezes every time I use the update feature. I gave it zonealarm permissions, and then I just disabled zone alarm, but it always hung. Seen this problem?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 9:17 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
JimC

Ok, maybe I'm missing something but spybot freezes every time I use the update feature. I gave it zonealarm permissions, and then I just disabled zone alarm, but it always hung. Seen this problem?

Eric
eric:

I have seen it appear to lock up when running updates. The update servers sometimes get very busy, and the application will appear to hang for long periods, before it's finally able to connect and download the updates. I had this problem recently installing it on a friend's PC (over a weekend, of course - LOL). That was probably your problem, too.

I've had no conflicts with ZoneAlarm.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:16 PM   #23

I found the FAQ which had something about this as well. Basically what you said. What bugs me is that the program shouldn't show up as "not responding" in the task manager if it's just trying to download. That should be for really dead programs.

I'll let it sit for awhile and see what happens. It did find a few things that adaware didn't, but nothing serious (registry entries that showed something was funny.) We'll see what an update will find.

Thanks for the tip on this program!

Eric
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:59 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
What bugs me is that the program houldn't show up as "not responding" in the task manager if it's just trying to download. Eric
Yep -- it definitely won't respond when it's trying to connect to a server for downloading updates, so windows considers it dead (even when it's really not). LOL I've seen the same problem before.

Once the downloads actually start, it will respond again. Apparently, it was written in such a way that it ignores the operating system while trying to connect to a server for downloads.

Otherwise, it's a great program.

I had a problem a while back (my fault -- I downloaded something I shouldn't have). Zone Alarm alerted me to the problem. Everytime I opened an application, changed web pages, etc., a program was attempting to connect to a server -- even when IE wasn't open. Ouch!!! Of course, it was trying to disguise itself by passing itself as a parameter of something else, so the program name in the Zone Alarm logs didn't help too much.

After digging through registry entries, killing everything I could see running that wasn't necessary (trying to find the culprit), running various scan programs, spyware check programs, etc., I finally found my problem using Spybot S&D -- even when some of the other (not free) Spyware checkers couldn't find it. So, it's been on my "must have" list since.

Thank goodness for Zone Alarm too (for alerting me to the problem to begin with). There are probably many, many users that have Spyware -- they just don't know it.

A good software based Firewall (like Zone Alarm) can help to alert you to a spyware problem (particularily the malicious kind), since it notifies you of any access attempt from your PC. But, a program like Spybot S&D is essential too.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 3:25 AM   #25

Thanks for the info Eric....

As far as spbot I'm a little afraid to use it... I read some of the negative responses about it on cnet.com and it sounds like if you have to be really careful using it or you could delete programs thar are essential. I'm an idiot when it comes to computers and I don't want to mess anything up.

Have any of you had any problems w/ it?
Old Aug 19, 2003, 6:54 AM   #26

Following this thread I've now installed Zone Alarm and SpyBot.

Zone Alarm is blocking the pop-up advertising messages, and I'm well pleased with that.

I've run SpyBot a couple of times now. I've found running it with the defaults hasn't done any harm, infact it's cleaned up some crud from my laptop.

Like Honey I was a bit nervous about what it would do, particularly when it made reference to the :twisted: registry :twisted: . None the less, no problems (this is with Windows XP, up-to-date with all of the critical service packs / patches).

If the worst had come to the worst I had my repair disk and backups to fall back on.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:13 AM   #27
Administrator

Unless you change the Settings from the defaults, Spybot creates backups of spyware program fixes, usage tracks removed, adware products removed, system changes, etc.

So, you can "undo" anything fixed by Spypot S&D using the "Recovery" menu choice.

I have had no problems with this fine software.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 5:39 PM   #28

I've got the same setup - Spybot and ZA pro, I also find Cookie jar and Spider interesting as well. This Forum works fine with my stuff running, but I can't post anything on DPreview unless ZA is disabled???
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 6:01 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I've got the same setup - Spybot and ZA pro, I also find Cookie jar and Spider interesting as well. This Forum works fine with my stuff running, but I can't post anything on DPreview unless ZA is disabled???
I post at dpreview.com frequently with no problems. But, I'm using the free Zone Alarm, versus Zone Alarm Pro.

It may have something to do with the Ad-Blocker in ZA Pro. I used to have an ad blocker installed on my PC, but decided to look at the ads, so I removed it. LOL

You may want to try to disable some of the ZA Pro specific features and see if that solves you dpreview.com posting problem, since this problem does not exist with the free version of ZA.

I don't remember which free ad blocker I used, but I'll post the info when I find it. It worked fine with dpreview.com

Update:

I figured out which one (ad blocker) I was using (worked fine with dpreview.com). It was Web Washer. I had to configure ZA to allow it to act as a server too (looks like a proxy server).

I don't know what version I was using, but you can download either 2.2 or 3.0 (both free for non-commercial use) from here:

http://www.webwasher.com/client/down...use/index.html

It looks like there a MANY different ad blockers available now, so you may be able to find a better one that works fine too.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:04 AM   #30

JimC & all

The problem with zone alarm is probably that it's blocking javascript or some thing in that realm. I know that if I'm using my web proxy (navascope) and I don't have an exemption for dpreview, all the menus on the left hand side of dpreview's web page stop working. I don't post on dpreview, though... I like the kinder, gentler atmosphere here (although I do directly contact people on dpreview to thank them for posting specific information.) The 100-400L vs. 400DO vs. 500 f4 research was very helpful, and not easy to do. Why don't mags do such articles?

I generally like navascope, but there are probably better web proxies out there (it blocks adds, popups, invasive javascript, stops details of yourself in the POST messages & lots more.) Development has stopped on it years ago... but it works well, so I don't think it needs more "Development" (well, ok... some interface improvements would be nice.)

Personally, I don't mind general ads (I dislike popups with a vengance) so I do not block them although I could easily. If it weren't for the ads, I would have to pay for many of the things on the web that I do not currently pay for. I wish ads did not interfer with the loading of the real content, but that is another matter. One of these days I'll get and learn the source code for Mozilla and add a feature which delays the loading of everything which is at a different domain than the original page.

I don't know if Steve had another job, or makes a living on this web site, but I am sure he works hard and deserves to get the money from the ads (and more, ads go cheap right now!) Blocking ads potentially cheats him out of money... that isn't fair to him.

I've heard good things about Web Washer, but I've never tried it.

I do use mail washer to remove email spam. I used to get 40-50 a day....

I also use Cookie Jar and that works well for me. The interface on that is a bit... odd, but once you learn it it isn't bad.

Does anyone know of something which will let you manage the plugins to IE? Some tracking software attaches to IE... so I'd like to see what is there.

Eric