Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2003, 5:27 AM   #1

Default To repair or not to repair. That is the question

So I took my broken, warranty-expired Fuji F601 into the repair shop and got the estimate of 22000 yen to fix it. That's about half of what a brand new 3-4MP digital camera costs around here.

I could pick up a brand new F601 for 39800 yen or even a nice F410 for the same price. I've also got a few clams sunk into SmartMedia cards which would all become useless if I were to switch to a Sony or Canon system.

What would you do?

You like the form factor and size of the camera and don't want to go much larger.
You have several media cards for it that aren't easily transferrable to another digicam.
You can get the camera fixed for about half the price of a brand new camera with the same features, but only with a warranty on the repaired parts.

Would you splurge and get a new system? Or would you get the thing repaired?

I'm leaning towards getting a new camera with a full warranty, but that nagging voice in the back of my head is telling me that I'm just wasting my money.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:23 AM   #2

Depending on what the fault was (serious physical damage excepted) - I'd get some jewellers screwdrivers, a big illuminated magnifier and have a go at fixing it myself! These cameras have a number of connections/ribbon cables that can work loose, or just need a clean. If you're not confident with this sort of thing, ask somebody with some experience of micro-electronics to help. As you posted prices in Yen, you should find some nimble fingers close by.

Even afterwards if you reluctantly decide to get it fixed, and you are careful, you shouldn't break it any more than it is.

Alternatively, I've been wondering why somebody hasn't started up a web buy/sell camera graveyard yet for used broken cams - like auto parts.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:43 AM   #3

I was actually of thinking of doing just that, in addtion to buying a new camera. From the sound of it, it sounds like some solder broke loose and the solder and wire are bouncing around inside the machine.

Quote:
As you posted prices in Yen, you should find some nimble fingers close by.
How's that movie quote go? "Sony, because Caucasians are too darn big."
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 7:06 AM   #4

I'd take out the batts pretty quick then!

Search for your cam in case somebody has dismantled it. Beam up to jkirk for some ideas on a 602 (sorry James - more hits!)

http://www.digsys.com.au/S602Z/S602Z.html
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote