Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2003, 2:02 PM   #1

Default 10X Optical Zoom Cameras

Will Canon ever make another 10X Optical Zoom Camera ?
jaxxbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:36 PM   #2

In my opinion, its doubtful. Possible, sure. They might make a 28-280 zoom. But beyond that, it seems like it would cover such a range as to be expensive to make, have lower yeald (i.e. more defective units made and thrown out or fixed in the factory.)

And since most people do not want to bring a tripod with them, the camera probably wants image stabilization. That makes the camera even more expensive. It's a good selling point (to me, any ways) but its also an expensive feature to add.

There are some longer zooms being made, but they don't have IS, and I don't know about the quality of the lens... or the camera for that matter. I think HP has one (but don't hold me to that.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:44 PM   #3

Olympus has the C7xx series of cameras with a 10x zoom ( I own the C750).If you are looking for a camera with a great zoom you should check it out. I have about 57 sample pics if you want to check them out. Image Stablization is a plus but IMHO it is not needed for the average shot.None of the pics on my page were taken with a tripod and they turned out very well for me but you decide.

http://waynebrunet.fotopic.net
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 7:44 PM   #4

I have an Oly 740 and feel very good about having a 10x zoom at my disposal. Before purchasing, I worried about all the issues everyone's mentioned beforehand. In my case however, the ablity to reach out to get full-frame sports shots or live performance shots was worth the trade-off. I have yet to see any of the purple glare on contrasty subjects with the 740 lens and the small size was a plus. It's only been on a tripod twice...with a couple thousand regular shots logged so far.

I'd recommend a careful analysis of your anticipated usage and see if image magnification is a critical part of what you plan to do. If so, there are some reasonably nice cameras that can fill the bill.

As others have stressed elsewhere on this board...the equipment matters very little if the composition is weak. But it's digital! Shoot it again! And again! And yet again!!

For me, I'm comfortable with my camera as a starter.

Dave
DavesWorldpt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 8:16 PM   #5

Most of the shots at my website were taken with an Olympus C-730.

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100

Daves World- I'm glad to hear that new coating on the C-740 lens has addressed the purple fringing. I get that regularly on my C-730, but have learned how to reduce or eliminate it in post production using Photoshop Elements. For the money, I think the OLY C series is one of the best point and shoots on the market - compact, LOT of manual controls, 10X zoom. As far as Image Stabilization, check out the shot I grabbed of former President Bush under my New England Beauty folder (last slide)- I got that at 30X (10 optical X 3 digital) with the subject in a moving boat. One for the few times I've used the camera fully pushed out, but it did pretty well.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 9:49 PM   #6

I suspect Canon will never make a replacement for its great Pro90. It's simply too expensive to manufacture that big 10X stabilized zoom lens. The prices of DSLRs is coming down and the two classes of cameras compete for the consumer's dollar. Manufacturers have sold the public on megapixels vs lenses.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:57 PM   #7

And Canon shared the IS techonlogy with Olympus, and Olympus has no intention of making another. Panasonic has a 12x IS camera but it is only 2mp and has few manual controls.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 7:17 AM   #8
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
...Canon shared the IS tech(no)logy with Olympus, and Olympus has no intention of making another.
Do you think Olympus has no intention because it's not a good idea, or is it because Canon revoked the IS rights to Olympus?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 7:49 AM   #9

probably a bit pricy such that olympus does not want to license the tech from canon again

but the new panasonic FZ-2 is out, which is essentially the FZ-1 with manual controls. =) tried the FZ-1 out the other day while helping my cousin pick a camera and was *very* impressed. regardless of how many MP you have, you'd never be able to cover what the 12x IS panasonic can cover with anywhere near as many pixels!

and then there is also the new minolta A1...

things are getting better =)

somy
somynex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 12:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
Do you think Olympus has no intention because it's not a good idea, or is it because Canon revoked the IS rights to Olympus?
Olympus lost a lot of money with the C-2100UZ (their camera with IS). It originally sold at $1000US, but no one bought it at that price. To get rid of stock Oly reduced the price of it (by $300 if I remember right) and that's when people started buying it. Problem is now people love the camera and want to buy an updated version, but Oly doesn't want to risk it again.

Anyway (in Oly's thinking), people are buying the C-7x0 in droves (myself included) so they don't need to bother with IS.

I'm sure though if the Panasonic DMC-FZ1 had more manual controls and more MP, people would jump ship and buy that one instead of the Olys.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote