Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:30 PM   #11

I have skimmed a few and the reviews are terrible ... .no oen is prepared to say somethign negative. Frankly i find this site to be the same but it is still great. IMHO the reviews on the "other" three web sites are .. in a word .. .incredible.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 1:38 AM   #12

Which other three sites please?
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 2:07 AM   #13

http://www.imaging-resource.com/
Dull but good reviews

http://www.dpreview.com/
Quite techy but astoundingly good reviews. The review master.

http://www.dcresource.com/
Easiest to read by far .. plain english and thorough ... i like it a lot.

Steve's is a VERY good site ... i just go elsewhere for reviews mostly.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 8:46 AM   #14

Thank you. I hadn't spent much time at imaging-resource.com or dcresource.com, but they both look good. I'm a Steve's guy but I'll check out these others.
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:22 PM   #15

The problem with Imaging Resource is they post "reviews" based on pre-release cameras with obsolete information based on what they saw at the PNA show back in March. For instance, the Olympus 750 is said to have ISO100-400, but in the release model Oly added ISO50.

To IR's benefit, they do say (at least in the Oly C-750 "review"), "Full review of late-model prototype camera."

BTW, Steve's Digicams does have the correct info in his review!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:38 PM   #16

Steve 'TFS' Bruhn is a professional motocross photographer and has a website with some good (though limited) information. He did a review of the Canon 1DS among others. I think his site is www.stevebruhn.com but I'm not positive on that.
SpeedyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
The problem with Imaging Resource is they post "reviews" based on pre-release cameras with obsolete information based on what they saw at the PNA show back in March. For instance, the Olympus 750 is said to have ISO100-400, but in the release model Oly added ISO50.

To IR's benefit, they do say (at least in the Oly C-750 "review"), "Full review of late-model prototype camera."

BTW, Steve's Digicams does have the correct info in his review!
Yeah i agree on that, but i wouldn't actually call Steve's write ups a review ... i think they are a comprehensive run through of the camera rathetr than a guide to what it does well and what it does poorly. there seems to be a reluctance to say "yes this camera is great" or "no, it's fallen short of what it should be".

Like a say, I love this site and think Steve does a stellar job ... but i'd rank the reviews as dpreview, dcresource, image resource and then Steve's.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti
Yeah i agree on that, but i wouldn't actually call Steve's write ups a review ... i think they are a comprehensive run through of the camera rathetr than a guide to what it does well and what it does poorly. there seems to be a reluctance to say "yes this camera is great" or "no, it's fallen short of what it should be".

Like a say, I love this site and think Steve does a stellar job ... but i'd rank the reviews as dpreview, dcresource, image resource and then Steve's.
Let me rephrase then...I'm someone who likes to make up their own mind. Give me the info about the specs and controls, give me some sample pictures, and *I* will decide what's best.

I don't want a totally biased, "Brand X is better than all the rest so buy only Brand X cameras" or "Brand Y is garbage...stay away from it because I say so!" For me, I usually find I'm at the opposite end of those opinions...for instance many people praise the Sony Tinitron/aperture-grille monitors to be the best on the market, but I find them to be garbage and absolutely useless because of those thin black lines which drive me up the wall because I see them on every type of that monitor.

Anyway cameras are a personal thing...you either work well with it, or not; I was using a Canon digital the other day, and couldn't stand it...I just wanted to smash the thing it was so useless.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 8:22 PM   #19

Hhheeh i agree .... certainly agree. But (there is always a but), as an example, on dpreview th reviewer will come out and say "the colour is nmot saturated well" ... or "images are quite soft" ..... that never seems to happen here.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 9:02 PM   #20

Well, you look at the samples and decide for yourself.

A lot of it though is the photographer itself. I don't know how many times I've seen reviews done by idiots who say, "10x optical zoom is useless because you can't get a steady handheld picture." I don't think I've ever seen a film photography reviewer say, "Don't buy a 400mm lens because you'll need to buy a tripod to use it."

If you buy a ferrari, you better know how to use a clutch...they don't say, "Don't buy a Ferrari because it doesn't come in automatic." (although these days you may be able to get a trip-tronic version)