Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:45 AM   #11

I basically agree with everything that is said, so I'll not repeat.

There is a nice program called "task info". The most recent version is here:
http://www.iarsn.com/

In many ways it shows more ifo than the task manager in XP/NT/2000. It is to see where your memory is being used. Often, things like printers will run management programs all the time... and you aren't printing all the time, so this is a waste!

You didn't list what type of processor you have. This is critical. Very old ones (P1) could annoying memory requirements/side effects (like removing all processor Level-2 caches. Or you might have to add memory in pairs. Please say what you have to we can advise you.

I would recommend against XP. You might consider ME, as it's really just an imporved 98 (the drives should all still work, for example.) But if you do upgrade, get more ram (people are right.) Photo editing uses lots of ram.

Like Alan T, I recommend irfanview. Its not "amazing" but it has a surprising amount of functionality for a free package. I still love its slideshow view & directory browsing abilities. Not fancy, but really easy.

I build a very good custom system. Good graphics card, best hard disk I can get, 512MB ram, 1.8G processor. I'm happy with it. The only things I might do are add another disk and either 512m or 1G ram. I edit large picture and work from home.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:49 AM   #12

I don't believe adding any ram over 256mb will help because windows98 can't read it or some issue like that.I have that amount on my 2ghz (2000mhz) P4 and thigs are usually pretty smooth I do admit though I suffer from slowdowns sometimes. I would benefit from XP on my computer but depending on your processor speed you may not. Try adding more ram first that may be your easiest choice.
Another route you could try if you have a bit of money is to buy a new Motherboard and processor as P4's are cheap. $200
Your case,harddrive and the like should be transferable to your "new" comp.
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 2:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickShooter
I don't believe adding any ram over 256mb will help because windows98 can't read it
I believe it can. Lots of folk with 98 have installed lots more than that, so it was, I think...
Quote:
some issue like that.
but not actually that.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 3:05 PM   #14

since some programs get arounf that barrier in mem usage they will use it but windows will not get the gratuitous speed up the way NT W2K XP amd even Me did somewhat. you will hit the swapfile considerable more often the even with that amount of memory.

my daughters computer is a 1800(1.53Ghz) AMD setup with 768MB of DDR. all stuff i had around from builds and upgrades for people. it also is a dual boot machine running both 98se and XP Home. the reason for this is some of her games just won't do what is necessary in XP. the performance difference between the two is quite dramatic if a game is run on both if written for both. and of course 98 gags up the most.

did you all know that PS supports SMP(symmetric multi processing)? the P4HT uses a subset of that and to XP it looks like 2 Processors instead of one. this allows programs that support it to put thru 2 sets of of instructions at the same time thus kicking up performance a bit about 10-15%.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 9:36 AM   #15

Quote:
I don't believe adding any ram over 256mb will help because windows98 can't read it
Windows itself is most efficient at 64megs...over 64 megs requires extra memory management which can slow it down, BUT if you do heavy duty programs like Photoshop you NEED IT (I'm running 256megs witn 98SE).

What no one here has said yet, is what your MOTHERBOARD is capable of. I have an older one that's only capable of 256megs (or 512 if it's registered memory). You should check your motherboard's manual before adding that it can't use!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 4:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T
Quote:
I believe it can. Lots of folk with 98 have installed lots more than that, so it was, I think...
Quote:
some issue like that.
but not actually that.
I think it depends on the version of Windows 98 you have. Later versions support more RAM, I believe up to 512mb..
MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 7:04 PM   #17

..............I don't believe adding any ram over 256mb will help because windows98 can't read it or some issue like that...................

As I said earlier, I'm running 98SE with over 512Mb RAM on an Athlon 1100, 133Mhz local side, VIA chipset, and my hard disc light hardly ever comes on - so it must be working! Norton reports and tests all the memory present, so it must be there! When I get the 'blue screen of death' occasionally, I don't worry any more, because I know the OS quirks well enough to fix it.

Speed is the real issue for older machines, SDRAM is not as fast as newer DDR memory, and given a modern mother board bus and caching, XP can make better use of it - but as everybody says, motherboard architecture and CPU have to be designed around it.

Older operating systems are best left with older motherboards AND earlier versions of software, which often are lighter weight and run faster!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote