Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2003, 9:52 AM   #1

Default Wanted: Advice On Viewing Photos on PC

I take a lot of digital photos and view them and edit them on my PC using Photoshop. I'm finding that my computer becomes very slow after I open and view a few photos. Is this a memory problem? I currently have Windows 98 with 128 RAM. I've been told that this is sufficient, but is it? I'd appreciate hearing what others are using to view photos. Hope you can help me. Thanks!
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:21 AM   #2
AK

Hia,

I've got 320mb ram and a 1gig processor. Isn't exactly speedy after you start really editing and composing huge files in photoshop, but generally for simple browsing and editing I have no problems. The slow downs after a bit of editing seem minimal!

You'd be surprised how much quicker more memory will make your computer run!
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:24 AM   #3

I'm just wondering if installing Windows XP will make my computer run faster. Anyone know?
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:26 AM   #4

Steve,
TIFFS and photoshop files take up huge computer resources to open and view. I am running a 2.5gig, 2mb ram PC, and it still slows down on my 5mp TIFFS.
Jpegs are viewed easier.
tabasco.
tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:27 AM   #5
AK

I installed WinXP recently. Seems to hog things more. Overall made things more stable, but it does seem to hog things a bit more.

Has it's +'s, and -'s :?
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:29 AM   #6

Default Windows XP

Possibly it makes your computer run faster, but it's also possible that Windows XP uses more resources then your current Windows version so XP will make your computer run slower!

I'm pretty sure installing more memory is a better idea then installing XP. But maybe doing both is the best way to go.
Arjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:45 AM   #7

Others here will tell you to upgrade to a new OS. Don't do it with your level of hardware. I'm running 98SE, and photo editing is fine. Here's some tips:

If you're starting with a 3Mpix image, that could be 10-12 Mbyte in memory, plus the undo copy so 1 pic open in a window could be around 24Mbyte. Double that if your cam is 6Mpix. Then your OS will take up 30-40 Mb more if you've got motherboard graphics sharing memory, plus you've probably got stuff loaded running in the background, and PS itself could be taking 20Mb plus.

So that's most of your memory spoken for with just 1 window open! I'm running 550 Mb - pc memory is cheap! If you're short on memory, your hard drive light will keep coming on during editing - mine only comes on during loads and saves. What to do? first find out what programs are being loaded at startup, usually (but not always) on the task bar - Norton System Info (memory) is great for this, or try Ctrl+Alt+Delete. If your HD light is coming on, consider defragmenting the drive to speed things up a bit. If you are still short of memory, consider running a basic lighter weight editor like Ulead PhotoImpact or ACDSee and only have one image edit window open. Avoid batch modes which open each image and leave them open until finished - they'll bury your memory! Working with layers in PS will use more memory as well.

So now you've made the best of your memory the next big issue is SPEED. Photo editing is incredibly processor hungry. If you are waiting a LONG time to render (apply tools to) an image, then you're processor is not up to it. Consider limiting your scope to basic fixes say brightness/contrast/color. There's no quick fix here I'm afraid, short of downsampling your images (lower resolution) and working with those e.g for web posting. I've got a 1.1Ghz Athlon and that's getting slow for things like noise reduction and sharpening. Cheers VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:51 AM   #8

What is the processor speed? there are a few things to think about before jumping to XP. one of them is 128MB of ram won't even run the OS much less open PS to use without a bit of a wait. the bigger your images the mor memory yu need.

if your running a P3 at 700mhz or better go to XP. i suggest maxing out the board(which is usually 768MB) memory or at least 512. below that and its a dog to run.
your OS currently does not use memory above 256MB efficiently it will use it but the speed increase above that will be incremental at best. it wil do what is called swapfile earlier. that is it will start using you HD as an extended RAM disk. you'll watch your HD light come on full time instead of flickering. XP sees/uses memory differently and considerably more efficiently. essentially with XP more is better.

as of 12/31/2003 official support for 98 ceases from MS.

just to give you an idea of what XP uses currently at idle with just background apps and services going it dyanamically eats up between 150MB and 200MB of RAM at any given time while running. so to run XP with PS reasonably well it would take minimum 512MB for comfort. then of course your processor needs to run all that too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:08 AM   #9

Default Re: Wanted: Advice On Viewing Photos on PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ
what others are using to view photos
Irfanview, a freeware viewer from www.irfanview.com loads and displays images very rapidly on my 400MHz pentium II running Win98SE. It does lots of transformations, but isn't an image editor like Photoslop or Pain Shop Pro.

Xnview is another excellent free one from www.xnview.com.

For viewing I actually use Vueprint from www.hamrick.com but that's paid shareware.

For simple viewing of images it's the speed of your hard disk that will make most difference. When I had only 128MB of memory viewing 27MB (uncompressed) filmscanner images was still quite speedy. Saving everything as jpegs makes everything load a lot faster. When it comes to editing them, it's memory you need, as the others say. I find my 320MB gives good performance even with my old, slowish processor. Anything that changes nearly every pixel is certain to require a bit of patience, though, unless you've a new, swish processor.

On any given processor, the older operating systems are likely to be faster, because they were developed for antique machines like mine.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:21 AM   #10

SteveZ- i'm not sure i remember properly are yuo using the 7i?

and if so are you shooting RAW? then converting to tiff?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote